Top Ten Characters I'd like to Slap

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Paper Bindings - Characters I'd Like To Slap - Top Ten Tuesday
A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's theme is the Top Ten Characters I'd like to Slap

This week was technically a free choice, but I decided to list the characters that I think need a smack across the face. Now, I don't condone violence in real life, but sometimes fictional characters deserve it. Now, some of these people are terrible and so slapping them would be cathartic. Some of them need to be slapped in hopes that they regain their senses. Others make the list because they are just so frustrating. 


01. Cordelia Grey from Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen. This girl, seriously. I wanted to throw the book, but slapping her would probably be more productive and make me feel better. All the girls from this series could benefit from a slap, but while the other girl's stupid decisions hurt themselves Cordelia is like a tornado and takes out everyone around her too.


02. Tris Prior from The Divergent series  - Again, I would enjoy this slap so much. She is such an annoying character. She starts out fine in the first book, but it's all downhill from there. By the end I was glad she was dead- or I would have been if she hadn't died in the most annoying selfish way ever. Way to steal your brother's chance at redemption and hurt everyone you care about for no real reason.


03. Dolores Umbridge from The Harry Potter series- She's basically pure evil, so I don't really need to explain this one. I will note that, when discussing my choice of TTT this week, my co-bloggers pointed out to me that she was more "killable" than "slappable". It's probably true, but I'm going to let it end with a slap. Then the centaurs can do what they want with her...


04. Madam Bovary, the title character from Gustav Flauberts novel  - I hate her so much. The book too. Mostly because the whole thing is just a chronicle of her selfish narcissistic attempts to make herself happy, even at the expense of the people who love her.


05. Scarlett Seely from Supernatural Devices by Kailin Gow  -This is a case of a girl who thinks way too well of herself. She's really oblivious for a self styled detective. She's also a huge hypocrite. And a Mary-Sue. 


06. Cate Cahill from Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood- She's a classic, but not fatal, example of SHS (Silly Heroine Syndrome). She acts in that typical confusing, contradictory, boy crazy fashion that drives people crazy. Never does the simple thing, is oblivious to obvious solutions, and overreacts to all the wrong things.


07. Emma Bloom from Miss Peregtine's Home for Peculiar Children -Here's some advice if you want to be the kind of person who I don't want to slap. Don't date your ex-boyfriend's grandson. I mean, you
 would think this goes without saying, but apparently not. The situation is unique, but I still think the relationship is ill-advised and creepy.


08. Willoughby from Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen  - He's arguably the worst of all Austen's villainous men.  Wickham is comparable, but at least he got his comeuppance. I have a serious hate on for this character, ask my co-bloggers. I hate him so much that I ranted about him for ages when we read S&S for book club. Austen didn't punish him nearly enough for his transgressions, which means he needs a good slap in the face.


09. Laura (Cather's Mom) from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell -Who is too lazy to come up with separate names for their twins? Someone who deserves slap, that's who. She's a pretty crap mother for leaving, but she was obviously also crap while she was there because "Cather" and "Wren" don't even spell Catherin. Why not Cathy and Wren? If she can change the spelling to "Wren" I can't see why Cater didn't also get an actual name...


10.  TJ from A Maine Christmas Carol by Philip Harris -This is probably one of the worst books ever written. I kid you not. I'd slap the author with his own book if I was a more violent person. I'll settle for slapping the main character (a troubled teen who fills in for Scrooge). If I slap him  hard enough, do you think that maybe the plot/characterization would start to make sense? Most likely not. But the character deserves to be slapped for (if nothing else) thinking that a ghost might be, and this is an actual quote, a nightmare caused by an undigested brownie.


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Stephanie

Stephanie is a tutor who loves helping people improve and excel. She loves a good story, so is obsessed with books, films, TV, and comics. A regular geek with a heart of gold ;)

23 comments:

  1. heh. This list is hilarious! I totally agree with you on Tris. I enjoyed the first book and then after that I was like WHAT. HAPPENED? Also for Emma Bloom...WTF I own that book! I never got around to reading it but wth??? That's so creepy. And no. Wow. I don't even know what to say about Emma. Did you still enjoy the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, by the time I got to Allegiant, I was so angry at the world, lol. Tris was awful, the plot and setting made no sense, and it was told in two point of views that read exactly the same...

      Emma isn't that bad really. There's a time travel aspect that makes the age difference minimal, but I still thought it was creepy. The book was pretty good, and very cinematic (I gave it 4 stars). If you want to read my full review, you can check it out here

      Thanks for reading and responding!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with Laura from Fangirl. SHE WAS HORRIBLE. Ugh. Worst. Mother. Ever. I just wanted to throw her under a bus. lol. It's ironic that you put Madame Bovary up there because I've been pondering if I wanted to read it or not. I know the premise. You've helped me decide to use my reading time elsewhere. Great list! I chose Historical Fiction Authors/Books this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she was terrible. I wouldn't have forgiven her like Wren did, I'm on Cather's side there.

      Madame Bovary made me so angry. Her poor husband. And daughter. And boyfriend. Urgh. They all loved her so much and she didn't care about them at all. I'm glad I helped steer you away, lol.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. oh goodness yes to Umbridge and Willoughby!! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the worst!

      Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. Haha, this list is utterly delightful! SLAP TRIS! OH PLEASE DO! And Willoughby, grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!

      I WILL. If I ever see her fictional face, I will slap it so hard! And Willoughby makes Mr. Collins seem like an okay guy :/

      Delete
  5. I agree on Umbridge. I hated her character more than I did Voldemort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people prefer a soul(and nose)-less evil mastermind to you, then you definitely deserve a slap.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Great choices (and gifs)! I think I would add all characters from Becca Fitzgerald and Lauren Kate books if I made a list like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I'm not familiar with those books. The characters are terrible, then?

      Thanks! And thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. I loved your list even before I read it. There are certainly a few characters I've come across that I've wanted to slap too. Willoughby for sure, that guy was terrible! I might add Lady Catherine and Mr. Collins to this list. And forget slapping Umbridge, I'd like to punch that woman. Loved your topic for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Austen choices are very slap-able too, but I figured I'd go with one per author, lol. And I think Willoughby is the worst of them all. I will fight people over it. My book club friends were unprepared...

      Umbridge was so awful. I think I've heard a lot of people say that they hate her more than Voldemort. A slap is probably the least of what she deserves, to be honest. If I was doing multiple characters per author, Bellatrix and Voldie would have made the list too ;)

      Thanks for taking the time to read/comment!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for this weeks list! I agree with wanting to smack Willoughby. He was such a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And Willoughby. Oh, how I hate him. He totally has this slap coming...

      Delete
  9. What a great idea for this weeks list! I agree with wanting to smack Willoughby. He was such a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you about Tris, and Umbridge. (Haven't read the other books on your list)
    Tris was okay in the second book, but she quickly became pretty self-righteous, and treated Four like the was a moron. Didn't really like that about her.

    But when it comes to Umbridge, if you know anything about Centaur mythology, she kind of got punished when they dragged her into the forest. A short depiction of Centaur mythology
    The second paragraph mentions what they were known for in mythology, and will give you an idea of her punishment.


    This is an oddly long comment, sorry for that. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! What I know about centaurs I learned from Hercules: the Legendary Journey, Xena, and Harry Potter. I figured the centaurs would smack her with a justice stick, though hopefully not quite what that paragraph implies, lol. And Tris just made me angry by the end of the series, even the way she died made me dislike her. That's pretty crazy, when you think about it.

      Don't worry about long comments, they are the best :D

      Delete
  11. Great pick! I would join with you I felt like slapping Laura (Cather's Mom) and oh yes Umbridge, where's her line? ;) I enjoyed you list! Happy Reading!

    Here’s mine, please feel free to read it!
    http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2015/09/book-schools-id-love-to-attendvisit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Umbridge line is long indeed... longer than the one to get into Harry Potter World at Universal Studios. And that's saying something, lol.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting! Btw- Loved your list :D

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...