What If You Weren't In Control Of Your Own Body - Starters Series (Review)

Friday, September 18, 2015



Starters by Lissa Price

Title: Starters (Starters #1)
Author: Lissa Price
Release Date: March 13th, 2012
Publisher: Random House

add to goodreads

“HER WORLD IS CHANGED FOREVER

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie's only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.

He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie's head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator's grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations' plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . . . ”




I started Starters way back in February 2014 when I begun listening to the audiobook. But as one might guess upon looking at my start and finish dates, as much as I enjoy audiobooks, they are just not for me.

So finally I picked up the book from the library. I was immediately surprised to find I was a lot further in the story than I believed from my place in the audiobook.

Starters followed Callie, an orphan charged with protecting her sick, younger brother. After a vast war and mysterious illness that wiped out the middle age group leaving only the children and the elderly behind. With advances in technology, the elderly were living longer, and these Enders held all the power. Orphans like Callie, her brother, and their friend Michael had no rights and would suffer a horrible fate of institutionalization if caught. Children with living guardians, though their lives may be more comfortable, were not that much more secure in this new world.

When the book first starts, you might think that it will be just another dystoptian novel where kids face ridiculous odds and were left to run amuck on their own. Then we started to learn more about Prime Destinations and the chance it offered the Enders to run around in fresh new youthful bodies, and the book really got going.

There was a romance triangle of sorts in this book. Normally I hate them, mainly because my guy never gets the girl or because I hate both choices, but I really liked how the author set this one up. At first you thought the author was going to go one way, then we meet the second guy and you think the author is going to go another. But at the same time, they were both interesting paths and it wasn't like she was stringing both guys along for the sake of the plot.

Just when you think you know where this book took you and where it will be going, you are hit with a pretty big twist that leaves you speechless. I was torn between "oh my god, that really didn't just happen" and "holy crap, that changes everything."






Title: Enders
Author: Lissa Price
Release Date: January 7th, 2014
Publisher: Random House

add to goodreads
Enders picked up right where book one ended. At first it felt like we were going to follow the same pattern as book one, but things quickly changed as several new characters were introduced and a few old ones returned.

Overall I enjoyed book two. It was a nice ending to what I believe is a duology. There were some twists and turns that I hadn't expected, including one major reveal towards the end of the book. Each one made the story that much more interesting.

The characters were just as fun as in book two. Though I still think Callie was a little too trusting considering everything that had happened to her. Plus she was just a bit to naive at times. Or maybe that was just her optimistic side.

I'm not sure how I feel about the romance in book two. On one hand, they were cute together, and, all things considering, they complement each other well. But maybe it was how the book ended, with that open promise, that I just don't feel like we were there yet.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...