It's All Under Wraps - Reawakened (ARC Review)

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Reawakened by Colleen houck

Title: Reawakened (The Reawakened #1)
Author: Colleen Houck
Release Date: August 11th, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Press - Randomhouse Children's Publishing
add to goodreads

“When seventeen-year-old Lilliana Young enters the Metropolitan Museum of Art one morning during spring break, the last thing she expects to find is a live Egyptian prince with godlike powers, who has been reawakened after a thousand years of mummification.

And she really can't imagine being chosen to aid him in an epic quest that will lead them across the globe to find his brothers and complete a grand ceremony that will save mankind.

But fate has taken hold of Lily, and she, along with her sun prince, Amon, must travel to the Valley of the Kings, raise his brothers, and stop an evil, shape-shifting god named Seth from taking over the world.”



RELATED: Tiger’s Promise (Tiger Sage #0.5) | Tiger Destiny (Tiger Saga #4) | Recreated (Reawakened #2)



My Review

I picked up Reawakened because I rather loved Colleen Houck's Tiger Saga and I love Egyptian mythology. 

I expected to love this book, and indeed, it felt very similar to the tiger books that I enjoyed it a lot. It was in the same vein, so to speak, as Tiger Saga that I think fans of her first series will easy fall in love with this one.

Reawakened followed Lillian Young (or as Amon calls her "Young Lily") as she travels to her favorite NYC haunt where she discovers a crazed boy in costume. Because really, what else can he be? Certainly not a handsome Egyptian prince who has been blessed with godlike powers and cursed to spend eternity fighting against the darkness every thousand years until the time where he was no longer needed. 

There was no way that could possible be true.

And I think that's why I loved Lily from the start. 

She was convinced that Amon was mentally damaged, but harmless to her. So she wanted to help him find his brothers so that they could give him the care he so obviously needed. Lily spent her whole life living the image her parents expected her to portray but at the same time, she had just enough of her true self below the surface that when she found out Amon was telling the truth, she had the resolve to see his task to completion. 

Amon was a delightfully fun character. 

There he was wondering the streets of New York City, having no idea what anything was but acting like such a beloved royal prince. The world was his for the taking. 

He needed Lily's help to resurrect his brothers so the trio could stop Seth's rising for another thousand years. He was focused and determined, but I really loved watching him change. Lily's treatment of him had such a influence on him that he really grew up. He became less of an untouchable prince and more of just a man with a mission and dreams.

Romance wise, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into this one. 

Amon basically had to use his powers to get Lily to cooperate with him in the beginning. He needed to accomplish his task and save the world. To do that, he needed his connection with Lily that allowed him to exist. 

But she didn't believe him or want to help at first which just wasn't going to be allowed to happen. It was fairly obvious that he'd have preferred not to coerce her into helping him, but he didn't have any choice if he wanted to keep the evil god from rising and destroying everything. Needs of one versus needs of many type thing. 

By the end, I do think they were able to over come that, but I think she jumped in a bit too quickly to the "omg, hot guy needs to kiss me now" stage of the romance before he was able to redeem himself for his actions.

The story itself was fun and entertaining. 

But I will admit there were periods of long conversations that bordered on info dumping. I didn't have too much of a problem with them but I think they should have been a little shorter or have add more action sprinkled in there. 

From a mythological standpoint, Reawakened is not my favorite, so I can understand how some huge mythology fans have a few issues with it. But I was able to set aside my opinions about Egyptian mythology and enjoy the story Colleen Houck created.


Words To Live By


"I was always taught that the image one portrays, though certainly not one hundred percent accurate, was an indicator of the type of person you were." (ARC pg 7/390)

"Really, why did all the good looking, interesting guys always have to end up being MIA upstairs?" (ARC pg 33/390)

"And right now, looking into Amon's eyes I was panicked. Not only because what he was asking me to do was way, way beyond my comfort zone but also because I was deathly frightened that this adventure might be my one and only opportunity to break out. To choose something different. To be someone different." (ARC pg80)"


Overall


Overall I enjoyed this series. Reawakened reminded me so much of The Tiger Saga that I easily loved the book. But that has me curious, is the next book going to feel the same also? I hope there is enough differences between them because I don't want to feel like I'm reading the same story just different characters and different settings.

2 comments:

  1. This one was already on my TBR, and a 4 star review from you certainly doesn't hurt it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cute. I think you'd enjoy it.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...