Gone in the Night: Top Ten Books to Read If you Like "The Face on the Milk Carton"

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Paper Bindings - top ten tuesday - face on the milk carton

A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Clooney
"The face on the milk carton looks like an ordinary little girl: hair in tight pigtails, a dress with a narrow white collar, a three-year-old who was kidnapped more than twelve years ago from a shopping mall in New Jersey.
As fifteen-year-old Janie Johnson stares at the milk carton, she feels overcome with shock. She knows that little girl is she. But how could it be true?
Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, until she begins to piece together clues that don't make sense. Why are there no pictures of Janie before she was four? Her parents have always said they didn't have a camera. Now that explanation sounds feeble. Something is terribly wrong, and Janie is afraid to find out what happened more than twelve years ago.
In this gripping page-turner, the reader will unravel — as Janie does — the twisted events that changed the lives of two families forever." - Goodreads


\

I Know My First Name is Steven


Also, an excellent 1989 mini-series with Corin Nemec, I Know My First Name is Steven is a non-fiction book about the true story of Steven Stayner, who was kidnapped for seven years until he was rescued in 1980.

Dear America: Standing in the Light and Indian Captive

I loved both these books as a child. Both middle grade historical fiction novels that tell the story of early American settlers who are taken by Native Americans as young girls. After creating a new life with their Native American families, both girls are returned to their original families, but are faced with the realization they no longer feel at home.

Emmy & Oliver

I already talked about how much I loved this book here. I can not say enough good things about this novel.

The Deep End of the Ocean

I discussed how the film is actually better than the book here. However, the book - which was the first novel in Oprah's Book Club - is still worth a read. The Deep End of the Ocean tells the story of the Cappadora family who lose their youngest son at the age of two, only to have him returned seven years later when the mother, Beth, notices that the boy next door looks too familiar. Whatever you do skip the sequel, but this is definitely one to check out - especially for what the abduction does to the relationship between Beth and her other son, Vincent.

Gone Girl

While the book turned into a great film adaption, Gone Girl is still a great novel - especially if you have not seen the film. It does get a little creepy and twisty, but it is a great 'cat and mouse' thriller.

The Year Without Michael and The Lovely Bones

The Year Without Michael and The Lovely Bones are about what happens to two families who try to come to terms with the fact that they may never know what happened to their son and brother, daughter and sister. 

Where the Stars Still Shine and Twice Taken

Where the Stars Still Shine and Twice Taken switch the genre a little and instead introduce the idea of family abductions and what it would feel like to realize you have a parent and another life you never knew about and could of had. (Side note: Watch the first seasons of Finding Carter and Switched at Birth for interesting takes on this kind of story as well.)


For more information on how to help go to:
 The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

8 comments:

  1. The cover to Where the Stars Still Shine is absolutely gorgeous! And that sounds pretty fascinating, having to cope with the life you could have had! It's definitely going onto my wishlist :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you found a book to read on the list :) I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Omg! I remember those books. And I've read...quite a few on your list. But not all! Deep End Of The Ocean has been on my TBR list. As has Emmy and Oliver! Fantastic list this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am glad someone got nostalgic with me :D Thanks for the comment. There's a lot more in The Deep End of the Ocean book than the movie, I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. I've read Face on the Milk Carton, but the only book on your list I've read is Indian Captive. I'm pretty sure I read that one in class, lol. Great list! I think I've got Emmy and Oliver on my tbr and you know how I feel about the Deep End of the Ocean movie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you'll like Emmy & Oliver, the characters are amazing!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...