Everything Everything (mini ARC review)

Saturday, September 19, 2015



Title: Everything Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Release Date: September 1, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley
“My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.”





My Review

ARC provided by the publisher for a honest review.

It is hard not to like the two main characters, Maddy and Olly. Maddy is a bookish dreamer who was perfectly fine living in her world of books, until she meets Olly the more logical boy next door with a difficult home life. Since she can't go outside their friendship starts with online messages and it is fun seeing the relationship develop. It does feel a little bit like 'instalove', but considering the only people Maddy talks to are her mother, her nurse, and her teachers, I think the character was just lonely for friendship with someone her own age. I also liked that Maddy was half black and half Asian, but it wasn't her entire identity or what the story was about, it just was.

One of the main themes of the novel is if love can kill you. Each character answers this question in their own ways.  This subtle question is one of the things I loved about the book. I do not want to go into to much detail, so I do not give anything away. However, this leads to the end of the book which while it was feel good, I was a little disappointed at the twist.

Words To Live By


"I look away. "The settlement paid for it."
Before he can ask I add: "The trucker who killed my dad and brother fell asleep behind the wheel. He'd been working three shifts in a row. They settled with my mom. He turns his head back towards the ceiling.
"I'm sorry."
It's strange because I don't really member them. Meaning I don't remember them at all." I try to ignore the feelings that surface when I think about them. There's sadness that's not quite sadness, and then guilt. "It's weird to miss something you've never had or don't remember, anyway."
"Not so weird," he says. We're both quiet and he closes his eyes. "Do you ever wonder what your life would be like if you could change one thing?" he asks."

"Newton was wrong," his dad says now. "The universe is not deterministic."
Olly kicks his legs. He loves when his dad talks to him like this, "mano a mano," like he's a grown-up, even though he doesn't always understand what he's saying. They'd been having more of these conversations since his dad's suspension from work.
"What does that mean?"Olly asks. His dad always waits for Olly to ask before explaining anything.
"It means one thing doesn't always lead to another," he says, and takes a slurp of hot chocolate. Somehow his dad never blows on the hot liquid first. He just dives right in. "It means you can do every goddamn thing right, and your life can still turn out shit."

"Q: Will I encounter turbulence?
 A: Yes. Into all lives a little turbulence must fall."

"Everything is a risk. Not doing anything is a risk. It's up to you."


Overall

What started out unique and then ended up not the freshest thing I have read in YA, Everything Everything is written well and I look forward to more things by Nicola Yoon.

Ms. Yoon is also a member of the  #weneeddiversebooks campaign (yay!). Please see: http://weneeddiversebooks.org/
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...