Book Club Recommends....Best World War Two Books

Monday, September 21, 2015

Paper Bindings | Book Club Recommends....Best World War Two Books






Daniel’s Story by Carol Matas - This book was one of the first books we read that did not sugarcoat anything - it tells the story of living in extreme circumstances is a relatable way. The exhibition at the American Holocaust Museum is also profound.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - While some of use not like this book the first time we read it, after reading the book again and seeing the film (very underrated), we could not get cannot get it out of our head.

Bright Candles by Nathaniel Benchley - The Danish Resistance is not something that is taught often, but this book does an excellent job of telling this important story.

Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank - Classic, we love how real Anne is in this and it’s a heartbreaking reminder of how cruel the world can be sometimes. Great introduction to WWII books.
“It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” ― Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl


Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein -This book is amazing. If you like books with strong characters and spy stuff read this. Brings the WWII period to life in a way we've never seen before.

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - Another classic for younger readers. The Danish story during WWII is an important one and this book tell their story is all the right ways.

Agent Zigzag by Ben Macintyre - “Eddie Chapman was a charming criminal, a con man, and a philanderer. He was also one of the most remarkable double agents Britain has ever produced. Inside the traitor was a man of loyalty; inside the villain was a hero. The problem for Chapman, his spymasters, and his lovers was to know where one persona ended and the other began.”

We figure that it’s good to get some non-fiction on our lists every once in awhile. This book, though describing real events, reads like a crazy spy novel. It’s got everything you could ask for: backstabbing, romance, travel, explosions, crime, and surprisingly little punishment.


What do you think? Agree? Disagree? What are your favorites?

4 comments:

  1. Good choices! I also liked All the Light We Cannot See, The Book Thief, and Lisette's List! new follower via Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hides* I actually haven't read any of these books myself. My poor cobloggers, I'm not sure how they put up with me. (Since I rarely stray from paranormal and fantasy books.) If you liked those books too, then I'll have to check them out.

      Thank you for stopping by and for following.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I have heard good things about All the Light We Cannot See, I'll have to check it out! And I've never heard Lisette's List, I'm going to go look it up now :) Thanks for stopping by and following!

      Delete
  2. Don't worry Dreams I rarely read paranormal and fantasy so it's a perfect mix :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...