Books have always received a lot of love from Hollywood. Whether you loved the book first and then dived into the film, or vice versa, here are a few of our favorites that we would recommend:
The Harry Potter series
- Carrie says because the film is true to books yet opened a whole new visual world for us.
- While Tracy thinks that though there are some issues here - like the burning of the Burrow for no explicable reason - overall it's just as memorizing as the the books. She love them both.
- I, Tisha, have to agree.
The Hunger Games series
- Because I enjoyed them more than the books.
- Stephanie: I actually like the books better, but I enjoy the movies too. I hate a good chunk of the first Hunger Games movie but I love the other two. I also like the books a little bit better but like Harry Potter it's overall a fine adaptation- except half of the Hunger Games ;).
- I love both, the film stuck for the most part to the book, but also expanded the world and other characters that we as readers do not get to hear from because we are in Katniss' head.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Because I loved this story and they did a wonderful job bringing it to life and yet staying true to the story I fell in love with.
- One of the very few book to film adaptations that is just as good as the book. It helps that Stephen Chbosky wrote the book and directed and wrote the screenplay for the film.
The Deep End of the Ocean
- I haven’t read the book, but my mom and I watched the movie a few times and as a kid I had a crush on Ryan Merriman, lol. He was the main boy in the movie and also played young Jared on The Pretender tv series.Gotta love Ryan Merriman!
- I actually love this film more than the book - don't even get me started on the horrendous sequel - plus yes I have always loved Ryan Merriman and Jonathan Jackson (Nashville!)
- I love Tuck Everlasting! I have great memories of my fifth grade teacher reading us this book at snack time and I think the movie is just as good yet sadly underrated.
- I agree wholeheartedly.
The Lord of the Rings series
- Because, let’s be real, they cut out the boring bits….and all those nothing happens for months chapters. my only complaint was how they changed Faramir’s character in regards to the ring.!!!!
- Seeing these movies were a large part of my high school experience. Great times :)
- I'm not sure if these movies have aged all that well, and I never got through the books but for a time, they were a big part of my teenage years and because of that I'll always have a soft spot for them.
- I loved the films in high school... now not so much...
The Princess Bride
- I loved the book and the movie… perfection all around really.
- I thought the book was a bit too mean but I loved the movie.
- Book is on my list, I really enjoyed the movie.
- Both were great. They definitely got all the creepiness.
- My favorite book and one of my favorite movies.
- Both to me are works of art yet very different from each other. There are a lot of nuances with the characters that can't be translated onto screen so I recommend you read/watch both!
- Have not read the book, but I love the film.
- I didn’t read the book, but the movie was awesome.
- I did read the book. I wasn’t particularly impressed by it, it’s definitely not Gaiman's best work. The movie however, I loved. It was the perfect mix of sweet, crazy, and funny.
- Cute movie.
What do you think? Agree? Disagree? What are your favorites?