Coming of Age Novels 101 (Top Ten Tuesday)

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Paper Bindings - Top Ten Tuesday - If I Taught

A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's theme is the Top Ten Books that would be on my syllabus if I taught Coming of Age 101:

Well, I got to chose which imaginary class to teach, and I went with Coming of Age Novels 101 (or Bildungsroman 101, if I wanted to be fancy). School is about to start again all around the country, so it's the perfect time to make up an awesome theoretical class. This class will cover a wide range of novels all centered on the theme of growing up (and no, this has nothing to do with my impending birthday, what are you suggesting?!?). The books were chosen to represent both genders and to showcase both the differences and universal truths inherent in growing up throughout history and across cultures.

 

This journey from childhood to adulthood starts in the 18th century and runs right up to the present. We would discuss the issues that continue to pop up despite differences in time period, social status, and gender. Basically we'd have a kick ass time discussing what makes people people and the ways that the world both transforms and destroys us as we grow into ourselves. Heck, we'd probably talk about what "growing up" and "adulthood" really mean anyway. Sounds like fun to me ;)


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Stephanie

Stephanie is a tutor who loves helping people improve and excel. She loves a good story, so is obsessed with books, films, TV, and comics. A regular geek with a heart of gold ;)

18 comments:

  1. Good choices! I'd take this class :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We would have awesome discussions ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting list! Good choices of styles and eras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought that the best way to show both the universality and timelessness of teen angst was to have books that showcase it throughout literature (from one of the earliest "novels" to one of my favorite modern novels).

      Delete
  3. such a wonderful list and a great topic for a class! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  4. Loving the lists today! I have read 6 of your 10 and think I may have to add Out of the Easy to my TBR. My TTT Top Ten Books That Would Be On My Syllabus If I Taught - What All Teens Should Read 101 http://wp.me/p6kfL4-4w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our classes could be taught side by side! Similar but with very little actual crossover. Six out of Ten is pretty good, this class would probably be an easy A for you :) Out of the Easy wasn't my normal genre, but I really did like it.

      Delete
  5. The Perks of Being A Wallflower is on my TBR and I may have to add Out of The Easy to it after enjoying Sepetys' other novel Between Shades of Grey so much.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-19/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to strongly recommend both of those books. READ THEM. lol

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know you had read/liked out of the easy, I've been meaning to read it :) Great list!

      Delete
    3. I mistakenly thought it was book club book one month and so I read it early, lol. It's not my usual genre, but I really liked it. I think you might to :)

      Delete
  6. I've actually read a couple of these! For coming-of-age stories, I might also add I Capture the Castle or A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Nice choice of topic for your class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding! I Capture the Castle is already on my TBR, but I saw the movie for ATGiB and am not sure I'd enjoy that one. Or is the movie not a good representation?

      Delete
  7. I love coming of age stories and you've picked some crackers! The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a great choice, I love that book (and the film too)!!

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday list!

    Also, please take the time to enter my giveaway!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Perks totally rocked my world when my young self read it, and that is the best type of coming of age book :)

      Great choice for your topic, and your list has some of my favorite characters!

      Delete
  8. I recently read an absolutely fantastic memoir from Larry Dunlap that I thought was one of the most interesting coming of age stories. It's definitely for a more mature reader but for those with a fascination of what it was like growing up through the sixties, this book is a must-read. It follows the touring life of a rock band through Las Vegas and California and really highlights the dramatic transition from the 50s into something very new and revolutionary. In nonfiction this has to be my book of the year.
    http://larryjdunlap.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems like a really interesting book! As non-fiction it wouldn't fit into my syllabus, but I would totally assign that as an extra-credit... maybe have people write an essay contrasting the fictional books to this fact-based work?

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...