I Gave These Books A Fair Shot (The Eh Files)

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Paper Bindings | The Eh Files

For all those books rated from DNF to, but not including, three stars, I present to you The 'Eh' Files. At the end of each month I'll be listing all those books that make this category. Since I am aware that some books that are not my cup of tea, but may be something other readers enjoy, I'll include a couple of sentences explaining my rating choice.


So here is the latest batch:
* Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - DNF
* Dead of Winter (The Arcana Chronicles #3) by Kresley Cole - 2.5/5 stars ***contains spoilers***


Paper Bindings - The Eh Files
DNF

I really tried with this one. I gave it several chances. But after multiple starts and stops, I just had to put it down. I wasn't reading anything because I was focused on avoiding this book.

It was a bit slow, at least as far as I made it. I couldn't connect with either character at all which made it hard to care about their troubles or their, well, anything.

So I stopped reading this one fairly early on.











THE REVIEW BELOW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!
.
.
YOU
.
.
.
.
HAVE
.
.
.
.
BEEN 
.
.
.
.
WARNED
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(And maybe a few curses.)
.
.
.
.
.
(I apologize.)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Dead of Winter by Kresley Cole
RELATED: Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles #1)

♥♥ 1/2
Considering I fully expected to DNF this book, it came as a surprise that I enjoyed it more than the last two....combined.

I hate Jackson, absolutely hate him. (FYI links take you to goodreads reviews of books one and two with spoilers...)

In book one: He treated her like trash, was unnecessarily violent towards her, and basically would have easily fucked her despite the fact he loathed her with a passion that was quite scary to watch.

In book two: He lied over and over to her face. Not just about helping her mother to die (which was her mother's request in the first place, so I can understand that) but about every single thing that was important. It felt like he basically kept the other girl who loved him (WHY WOMAN??) around like it was a way to hurt the heroine. We learned he only wanted to chase after Evie in the first place so he could steal her from his brother because fuck him. And the scene where they have sex? She's all "he loves me" but afterwards the whole thing felt like he just fucked her because another guy was sniffing around and he had to do something to claim her. Since I double the Empress would have been fond of being pissed on.

In book three: He still fucking lies. When they are reunited it's all kisses until death shows up. And when she makes some valid reasons why he could be useful, Jackson was all "fuck you, you traitorous bitch." At least until the moment he decided she had Stockholm Syndrome, then he was trying to fuck her into forgetting the fact he was continuing to lie to her face. Oh, and there was another guy pursing a relationship with her.

He doesn't trust Evie, he doesn't listen to her, he doesn't get her, and I'm supposed to believe he fucking likes her? And the bitch chose him. (At least as far as this book goes.) I guess she decided she was a masochist after all.

Death really isn't much better as far as a love interest goes but he was preferable. (Not dating you either buddy boy.) The flashback at the beginning undid some of what I liked about him. His past was just as messed up, in fact I think it might be worse, than Jackson's. But he does things, things he would prefer not to do, for her. There was only one man, main character wise, who I honestly believe might be capable of growing into a better man, and it was Death.

Plus he was just a funner, more complex character which made for a great character to read about.

If one takes out the romance completely, this book would have been excellent.

I really love the whole Tarot premise. We meet some new cards, and interact with some old ones. Evie learned a lot about her other lives, as well as some crucial information about some past games. That aspect of this novel was fantastically done.

The stakes were higher, the secondary characters got more love (and I just realized how that could have a double meaning with The Lovers card in play - watch out for them), and the book was just...more.

I "knew" when I started this book I was going to DNF it, but now I'm actually pretty curious as to where the author is going to take things. I have a feeling we've only just met one of our toughest enemies yet to be faced.



2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a post, I have yet to read a Rainbow Rowell book, they always have such pretty covers! Of course that does not mean it is good inside.

    I have never read the Arcana chronicles (and possibly unlikely too) but OMG that guy sounds like a total tit!

    I hate when books are meh!

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Fangirl by Rainbow Rowel. Unfortunately from readers I trust, Fangirl was the best one and the others were all sorts of disappointing. After EC&P, I'm honestly hesitant to try Landline since I heard the least number of good things about it.

      I may give guys in books a lot more leeway than I would if they were real and in my life, but Jackson crosses some lines that honestly scare me.

      I hate when books are meh too. But thankfully I've had a whole slew of good books to read too.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...