Sharing the Text or Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters TTT #91

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Paper Bindings - Diversity

A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.



This week's theme is the Top Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters:







The only one on this list that I haven't read all the way through is "The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian." I loved what I did read and have heard nothing but good things about it. I just ran out of time to finish it before the class that featured it ended. I picked each book for several reasons.

"Cast Two Shadows" holds a special place for me. It was one of the first times I got to read about a mixed race person during the American Revolution.  It introduced me to the fact that minority characters could have a role in historical fiction - especially black characters beyond the Civil War or the Civil Rights Movement."A Really Awesome Mess" serves as a good example of how to write diversity in contemporary YA fiction without being obvious about it. "The Ear, the Eye and the Arm" and "Devil's Arithmetic" are  childhood favorites and "Kindred" is one of the few science-fiction/ time travel books to feature a black woman as the main character. "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" is just one of the most beautiful love stories I've ever read. I went to a panel this year at BookCon for "Mixed Me" and I really liked the story/message of it, "Candice Phee" is a sweet story that talks about autism and "Eleanor & Park" features a kick ass minority character.

For more books that feature diverse characters see the, #WeNeedDiverseBooks Campaign.

What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tracy

Tracy is a history/film fan who loves to read YA, historical and contemporary fiction. She’s also a sucker for a sad tale. Harry Potter (“Harry Potter”), Peeta Mellark (“Hunger Games”), Nathaniel Blake (“Little Men”) and Daniel Landon (“Catcher, Caught”) are her literary boyfriends. She’s also the resident Ravenclaw and librarian.

11 comments:

  1. We share Butler and Alexie! Great picks.

    Check out my TTT and my leg of the Forsworn Blog Tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Octavia Butler, glad to see her mentioned on other blogs!! Awesome Post Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred is pretty awesome. Glad you liked my list :)

      Delete
  3. Kindred is one of my favorites. It's the only book I read all the way through in my Women in Literature class in college. I also felt like it gave me permission to be black and enjoy science fiction. Also, love Aristotle & Dante. Had a chance to meet Ben Saenz a few weeks ago when he spoke in the summer session class my partner taught at university. Great list! Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been cool to read Kindred for class. How did they teach it? I'm jealous you got to meet Ben Saenz!

      Delete
  4. Great titles! I still need to read The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian and seeing it on many lists today has encouraged me to move it up my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my list! I want to finished The Absolutely True... as well :)

      Delete
  5. Eleanor and Park! I absolutely love that book! And I have seen "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" on quite a few lists this week. I have been meaning to check it out but just have never got around to it yet. Love your list and thanks for sharing!

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Please do read "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe." It's wonderfully written. Loved that book.

      Delete
  6. I love E&P - beautiful book. I liked A&D too and can't wait for Part Time Indian which I have just ordered. My TTT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...