And Then There Were Books - July Mini Reviews

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Paper Bindings- Mini Reviews


There have been quite a few books that I've liked, or disliked, lately that haven't inspired me to write a lengthy review. But I wanted to say something about the books.

So here is the latest batch of mini reviews:

  • Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6) by Jennifer Estep 4/5 stars
  • Fragile Darkness (Midnight Dragonfly #3) by Ellie James 4/5 stars





★★★★
Title: Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Release Date: February 25th, 2014
Publisher:  Kensington

I really liked the Mythos Academy series overall. So to finally make it to the last book in the series is bittersweet.

Since book one, Gwen had really grown a lot. I loved being able to see that growth put into action in this book. She makes some tough choices. She was willing to sacrifice some things/relationships in order to do what was necessary in the war. There were things in her life she wasn't willing to let go, lines she wasn't willing to cross, but short of that, she was going to do whatever was necessary to protect the people she loved.

Through most of this book it really felt like Gwen was on the verge of a breakdown. The pressure of being the only one able to stop Loki was really weighing down on her. She saw enemies everywhere, and had a hard time looking at the good because she was waiting for it to be taken away from her.

And I really thought that amped up the tensions in this book. By the time she made the decision to go after the enemy, I was ready for it to be over. (In a good way!)

Normally I'm not fond of the last books in a series because it doesn't end the way I want it to, but I really loved how Killer Frost ties up all the lose ends. Looking back, I can really see how Jennifer Estep set up all the clues to how to defeat Loki in the previous books.

RELATED: Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) | Dark Heart of Magic (Black Blade #2) | Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4) | Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy #5)





★★★★
Title: Fragile Darkness (Midnight Dragonfly #3)
Author: Ellie James
Release Date: November 27th, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
It's been a while since I read the first two books. First my library never got book three in, and then I kind of sat on the ebook version for a while. So I wasn't 100% sure I'd remember all the details I needed.

But from the very beginning, things started coming back to me.

Fragile Darkness was a cute end to the series. But I wasn't as in love with the book as I initially thought I was going to be. It wasn't bad, and it wasn't lacking, I just didn't care so much for her whole fluctuation between *cries* ___ is ____ and ____ won't kiss me. Though I understood her struggle.

The plot was about the same as the others, interesting and entertaining, but I'm not too surprised things ended up the way they did.

Overall it was a cute, quick read, and I am glad I finally got to finish this series.

2 comments:

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...