Move Over Clark Kent Lois Lane Is The Name To Know - Lois Lane: Fallout (review)

Saturday, July 11, 2015


Lois Lane Fallout by Gwenda Bond
Title: Lois Lane: Fallout (Lois Lane #1)
Author: Gwenda Bond
Release Date: May 1st, 2015
Publisher: Switch Press
“Lois Lane is starting a new life in Metropolis. An Army brat, Lois has lived all over—and seen all kinds of things. (Some of them defy explanation, like the near-disaster she witnessed in Kansas in the middle of one night.) But now her family is putting down roots in the big city, and Lois is determined to fit in. Stay quiet. Fly straight. As soon as she steps into her new high school, though, she can see it won’t be that easy. A group known as the Warheads is making life miserable for another girl at school. They’re messing with her mind, somehow, via the high-tech immersive videogame they all play. Not cool. Armed with her wit and her new snazzy job as a reporter, Lois has her sights set on solving this mystery. But sometimes it’s all a bit much. Thank goodness for her maybe-more-than-a friend, a guy she knows only by his screenname, SmallvilleGuy.”




RELATED: Lois Lane: A Real Work of Art // Lois Lane: Cloudy With A Chance of Destruction // Double Down


My Review

Lois Lane: Fallout was one of those books I noticed while waiting for the doors to open at Book Expo America back in May. The line wrapped around the booth and I thought I had missed it. Later, in a it-never-hurts-to-check-back-move-of-desperation, I returned and ended up being able to jump on the end of signing line. 

Que geekout moment.

(As if that wasn't already confirmation I should read this book, during The BookCon the magic wheel of books decided I needed to read it too. I won a second copy which I passed off to my coblogger to read. Who really needs to read this book ASAP so I have someone to talk about it with.)

I love superheros, and though Superman was never my favorite, a book centered around Lois Lane sounded epic.


Lois Lane and her family have just moved to a new city. Unlike her countless previous moves, this time they were there to stay. Only Lois had developed quite the talent for defending others over the years, usually in situations where a cross country move would be an ideal escape.

I accidentally read the last line while I was checking the number of pages in the book....and I was instantly captured by this book. 


Who was we? Superman? Someone else? A guy? A girl? A friend? Something more? Why was the sunset "violently beautiful?" What the heck just happened?

I needed answers.

Immediately, I rushed right into the book.


I loved Lois right from page one. She was funny and fresh, and she just jumped to the defense of a girl who was obviously being mistreated by a figure of authority in her new high school. Only moments after telling us how important it was that she blended into the background and maybe made a friend or two. As the pages went on, you could really feel her struggle to blend in without sacrificing her character and integrity.

So is Superman/Clark Kent in this book you ask?


Yes and no. 

Lois has a highly secretive friend that she talked to over a secured messaging system. After she had a bizarre encounter with a flying man and left a skeptical post on a chat forum, SmallvilleGuy reached out to her saying he believed her. Since then, he's been her go to (only) friend. 

Their chats are some of greatest moments in this book.

In just a few quick sentences you see how SmallvilleGuy could easily become the Superman we all know and love, and yet he could just as easily be just a really great guy that Gwenda Bond tossed into her book to make us fall in love. Yet there was no question Lois was the hero of this book.

I ship them with the power of a thousand suns.

The plot was an interesting blend. 


It's a little bit of a coming of age novel, she's trying to be her self while finding her place in a more permanent setting. There was a great mystery with the creepy gamers, and their pursuit to assimilate more members. With a whole heaping of awesome technology. I dare you to read this book and not think the gaming system was something you needed to try at least once. Topped with a sprinkling of the cutest OH MY GOD I NEED YOU TO GET TOGETHER NOW couples ever. 

I really loved this book far more than I was expecting to, which was an whole lot.

The world building was very well done. 


There was no question this was Superman's Metropolis, but at the same time it was so much more. From the school to her house, things that could have easily been average were presented in such a fun way that made me really feel like I was living along side Lois in this unfamiliar new city. 

And the gamer virtual world where a lot takes place?

This gamer girl was having a bit of a geek out moment. 

I really love how Gwenda Bond incorporated that aspect of the story, and yet kept it feeling fresh. Lois may make a few comments that so and so was a closet geek, but at no time did it feel like feel like there was a division of geeks vs normal people because all the characters were really complex and a blend of different traits.

With all the cool technology mentioned in the story and the whole superhero vibe the world was giving off, I really couldn't predict where the story was going to take us next.



Words To Live By


"My problem was I had bad luck. And I spoke up when I saw something wrong. I did it because I could, without having to worry about the fallout lasting years." (Lois, page 19)

"What was happening around me in the game felt more real at the moment than reality." (Lois, page 90)

"The problem with having friends was that you might lose them. Or they might get hurt." (Lois, page 253)



Overall


Like superheros type stories?
Read this book.

Like novels with awesome, kickass, inspiring heroines? 
Read this book.

Like stories with fun plots, that make you think without even letting you realize you are doing so?
Read this book.

Seriously, this book is worth the time it takes to read and the hours you spend afterwards wishing you had book two immediately available. 

4 comments:

  1. AGREED WITH YOUR REVIEW 100%!!! And you passed around the BEA line?? Dammit, I was sitting there, like in the first 10 people!! We missed each other!

    Going back to the book, I loved how Lois is a fantastic character, so proactive and with such a sense of justice that she can't stand quiet even when it will get her in trouble! I also loved how the plot reminded me a bit of the Smallville TV series in the best way!! And of course... I ship Lois Lane and SmallvilleGuy like there's no tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We probably had a dozen near misses at BEA. Maybe next year.

      Lois was so wonderful. She was the type of friend I'd love to have on my side if I was ever in trouble like that. Enemies beware. I never finished Smallville. Somehow I missed a bunch of episodes and never found the reruns and forgot about it. I'll have to see if Netflix has them since I'm in the mood.

      Lois and SmallvilleGuy sitting in a tree...XD

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I heart this book so much. I'm super (see what I did there) grateful that you won me a copy. The wheel of prizes was generous!

    It kind of reminds me of a female version of the Alex Rider series. But with added Smallvilleguy ;)
    It also reminds me of the amazing Clois chemistry on Smallville despite the fact that the only scene Lois and Clark have together is in virtual reality. I can't wait for the next book. Any chance you'll get me a free copy of that one too? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See the giant wheel of prizes was a good thing. XD And you guys didn't want to spin to win. I really love how much chemistry they have in just the messages because it shows how awesome the writing really is. When they are together I know the fireworks will fly. <3

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...