In Which The World Gets Better But The Plot Disappoints Me - The Invasion of The Tearling (review)

Thursday, June 25, 2015


the invasion of the tearling by erika johansen
Title:The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #2)
Author: Erika Johansen
Release Date: June 9th 2015
Publisher: HarperCollins
“With each passing day, Kelsea Glynn is growing into her new responsibilities as Queen of the Tearling. By stopping the shipments of slaves to the neighboring kingdom of Mortmesne, she crossed the Red Queen, a brutal ruler whose power derives from dark magic, who is sending her fearsome army into the Tearling to take what is hers. And nothing can stop the invasion.


But as the Mort army draws ever closer, Kelsea develops a mysterious connection to a time before the Crossing, and she finds herself relying on a strange and possibly dangerous ally: a woman named Lily, fighting for her life in a world where being female can feel like a crime. The fate of the Tearling —and that of Kelsea’s own soul—may rest with Lily and her story, but Kelsea may not have enough time to find out.”



RELATED: The Queen of the Tearling (Tearling #1)


My Review

The Invasion of the Tearling nearly had me quitting right from the start. 

The first few point of view characters were not any of the major characters from The Queen of The Tearling. In fact I had no idea who these people were or the people they in turn mentioned. 

Oh, look, he gets to be a soldier now. Glad you were smart enough not to go after the slave carts and get yourself killed...after all if you died before you lived then I really would have no idea who. you. are. 0_o

It took an aggravating long time and several chapters for Kelsea to make a mental comment that allowed me to place him.

And POV #2? The brawny, mentally slower, but has a heart of gold jailer. Who, you guessed it, got some new prisoners. But because he was not in the loop from book one, he had no idea who these people were. Which meant I had no idea who they were. Oh I got they were important...but they weren't the baddies I could recall from book one. 

Now I hate it when books spend chapters recapping the previous book(s) but you have to give me something reliable. Something concrete. 

When we finally, thank god, got to the people I remembered, things started coming back to me. The story moved forward, and I was getting more into it.....and....then we jumped into the past....

The story went back and forth between the two plot points, and it took me probably a third of the book to get into this. Part of that was because of what was happening, but even more than that, this book was way to long. 

The beginning of The Invasion of the Tearling was slow and pretty boring, but as the pages turned, it started picking up. I devoured the last few hundred pages or so. I needed to see how she was going to confront the evil queen. I needed to know how the things we uncovered in the distant past, affected the recent events, and how they foreshadowed the future.

The Queen of the Tearling for me was one of those books that I enjoyed, but if I looked closer at, I had problems with. Namely, I did not understand the world. 

How the heck could they have been in the future-past thing? Then there was the fact I had no idea where in the world this sudden and new landmass was supposed to be.

But as this story progressed, we got to learn more about it, about what happened in out world, about this exodus to the better world, and it all started making sense. Looking back, I really liked how the author set up the world Kelsea and co lived in and what she started bringing into play in book two.

All I could think is there is no good in the world anymore.

Character wise, I felt this book wasn't as strong as the first one was.

I definitely liked Kelsea less. She wasn't bad or annoying, but she didn't stand out. She struggled to rule in a world where no one wanted the child to make big decisions, and she made some bad choices at times. And other times I remember thinking she should have made more stupid decisions more often because at least that kept me entertained.

Mace was a pretty fascinating books of secrets. He was definitely playing his own game, and I loved trying to figure it out. 

Pen, oh Pen you feel for the stupidest girl in the whole queendom, and I think you started to realize it. Or maybe love just made you blind, because it made you reckless. I kind of feel sorry for you.

I'm not sure where recent developments leave me in The Fetch department. On one hand I love his mystery, and I really want to know why he is being punished. But on the other, I think the book pulled me away from liking his character as much as I did in book one.

By far the most interesting character was the power behind the evil queen. I loved his scenes. I loved untangling that mystery. I am super excited to find out more with the way the story leaves things. 


Words To Live By


"Pain only disables the weak." (Mace pg 78/511)

"Cruelty is in everyone, Teir Heir. It takes only the right application of pressure to coax it out." (Handsome Man pg 124/511)

"And Kelsea wondered suddenly whether humanity ever actually changed. Did people grow and learn at all as the centuries passed? Or was humanity mearly like the tide, enlightenment advancing and then retreating as circumstances shifted." (Kelsea, pg 435/511)


Overall


Overall, I'm disappointed by The Invasion of the Tearling. This book could really be divided into two halves, the part where I was confused/bored and the half where I couldn't get enough of it. I plan to read book three because there are some questions I want answered, but I no longer feel the need to own the entire trilogy. A visit to the library is good enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved Queen but have yet to read Invasion (it is near the top of the TBR pile!), I really hate it when you start reading a sequel and nothing makes sense, I like familiarity straight away!

    Great review though, I'm looking forward to reading it!

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be curious to see what you think about it. I'll look for your review.

      I think if I did not start on the wrong foot with the book, I would have enjoyed it a lot better. Because looking back, everything was crystal clear. I just didn't like being startled like that.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...