It Was The End But Was It Perfect | The Ruby Circle | Review

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Paper Bindings - The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines #6) by Richelle Mead
Title: The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines #6)
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: February 10th, 2015
Publisher: Razorbill
“THEY WILL BE TESTED

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

Their forbidden romance exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s bestselling Bloodlines series.

When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, she and Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world and alter their lives forever.

Don't miss their unforgettable final chapter...

LOVE WILL CONQUER ALL.”




RELATED: The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) | The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines #4) | The Silver Shadow (Bloodlines #5) Soundless


My Review

I have a confession to make. 


I really wasn't sure I even wanted to read this book.

Don't get me wrong, I love the world Richelle Mead created, but I think it's about reached it's peak and then some.

I've read all of the Vampire Academy series and everything in Bloodlines up until here, but I was dreading this moment. Over the course of the last few books (The Fiery Heart, Silver Shadows) this series and I were started going through a rough patch. And when the initial reviews for The Ruby Circle came out and nearly all of the bloggers that I follow who have similar tastes as me disliked this book, I froze. 

So the book was buried in my ever growing owned TBR pile until I pulled it out as part of my complete that series you fool you have too many incompleted/ongoing ones challenge.

Overall, I did end up enjoying The Ruby Circle more than I anticipated I would, but I do have some mixed feelings about it.


I loved Adrian. He was my favorite character in Vampire Academy and he was my favorite character in Bloodlines. But I still have no idea how I feel about getting his POV.  I understand why it was a necessary addition to the series, but lately it seems that every time I am in his head I just want to strangle him. 

Silver Shadows was a lesson in how you can absolutely hate a character you were so in love with you named him "number one book boyfriend." Adrian gained back some of what he lost during the last book, but I think he destroyed what I saw in him in the first place. By the end of The Ruby Circle, I no longer love him the way I did before. My feelings for him have dropped dangerously down to "meh."

Sydney, on the other hand, I really like her. I liked her back in Vampire Academy, and I liked her when this series first started. That said, she was never my favorite female in the series, and I will never claim her as my favorite female character in a YA book or anything. But I really have to admire her for overcoming her obstacles in the previous books and still trying to be hopeful about her bleak future. 

Romance wise, this book has some cute moments.

(See quotation #3 below.) 

I certainly do still ship them as a couple. This book isn't so much about them trying to be in love with each other as it is about them dealing with life and learning how a relationship with each other fits in among the hassle and heartache they are surrounded by. It was nice to watch them go through struggles real people (if you boil everything down to it's basic levels) and watching to see if they could make it all work. 

I really cannot see either of them with anyone else.

As far as the story goes, I'm afraid it was a tad on the extremely predictable side. 


I saw on one review where the reader felt this book was toned down some. She felt in Vampire Academy you had no idea if Rose was going to get her HEA ending or if people would die. But in The Ruby Circle that level of risk was not there. 

I'm sorry, I cannot remember who you are at the moment. But your thought stayed with me as I was reading. 

Because it was absolutely true. 

There was not one point in this story where I was like: OMG you are all going to die, or OMG please Richelle Mead do not do that to my feels.

About as close as I got to that was when Adrian was talking with Nina and I needed to remind him how the last time they were together I almost disowned him.

Everything that did happen in this book was so predictable I wanted to cry. It wasn't just that I guessed what was going to happen, but the hows and the whys too.




Words To Live By


"'You're both staying here, where you're safe.' (Lissa)
Safe is starting to lost it, I thought, recalling the bleak look in Sydney's eyes.
Darling, Aunt Tatiana whispered to me, you were starting to lose it long before this." (Page 14/348)

"Maybe that's something you should think about. If 'no one' is talking to you, maybe they're not the problem. Maybe you are." (Adrian, page 153/348)

"Being with you is the best thing that's ever happened to me, the one perfect decision I've made in a lifetime of fumbling and poor judgement. I'd go through it all again to be by your side. Never doubt that. Never doubt how I feel about you." (Adrian, page 156/348)


Overall


I am glad I gave this book a chance, but finishing this series does not leave me in the mood to reread it. I did not entirely dislike how it ended. In fact it set up an interesting plot point for that universe that maybe one day will turn into something new and fun. But I wouldn't say that ending was the one I had in mind for them all those books ago.

4 comments:

  1. I have been meanging to read this series for so long. I have a couple of the audiobooks and really need to start it soon!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be curious to see what you think of Bloodlines by time you get to the end of the series. You've read the Vampire Academy series right?

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love her Vampire Academy series much more, although Bloodlines is pretty awesome as well :) I agree about the ending, it's still very good but not as epic as I would have liked it to be you know? I'm glad you could enjoy it for the most part! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved Bloodlines more because I love Adrian so much and I'm not Rose's biggest fan. (Not that I hate her or anything, but she just wasn't my favorite character of that series.) But now, I'm not so sure which series I favor more. I hate less than satisfactory endings.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...