I Cannot Believe I Am Saying This But... The 100 (review)

Friday, June 19, 2015


Title: The 100
Author: Kass Morgan
Release Date: August 2013
Publisher: Little Brown and Company

“NO ONE HAS SET FOOT ON EARTH IN CENTURIES - UNTIL NOW.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents - considered expendable by society - are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life... or it could be a suicide mission.

Clark was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. Wells, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves - but will she ever forgive him? Reckless Bellamy fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And Glass managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope”




My Review

I had had The 100 on my Spring TBR pile because CW's tv show of the same name had quickly become one of my favorite shows. I was so excited when I learned the the show had been based off a book series. Then I met Kass Morgan at a Book of Wonders panel event and then I really wanted to like this book, because she is funny and awesome and wrote "Bellarke forever" in my book. However, I just could not get into The 100. It had a strong beginning, but I kept feeling like I was waiting for something to happen. Perhaps if I had read the book before I saw the show I wouldn't have been expecting so much, because Season 1 - heck, episode 1 - of the show is crammed with suspense and action. I spent much of the time waiting for everything that happened in the show to happen in the book. Most of it never did. 

Still, I know I have to realize that the book and the show are two different things. For starters there are characters in the book that do not so far do not appear in the show. The most important is Glass, who is one of the four points of view in the book, those being: Clarke, Bellamy, Glass, and Wells. I enjoyed Glass' storyline and thought it was an interesting perspective of the class division that is a major part of the book, but not so much the TV series. Also, some of the characteristics are different from the show, such as Octavia, who is not nearly as awesomely bad ass as she is in the TV series. Also, some of the characters are combined: Wells in the book becomes two different characters in the show, Finn and Wells. Furthermore, characters like Jasper, Monty, and Dr. Abby Griffin do not appear in the book and most of Clarke's back story is changed. Okay, sorry not sorry about the comparisons. I just figured some readers, like myself, are curious about the differences. 

Generally, the book is well written, though lacking a little... oomph. I think if the second book has a little more character and world building the series will be heading in the right direction.



Words To Live By


-"You need to let yourself be happy. Or else, what's the point of anything?"

 -“Maybe here in the ruins of the old world, they could start something new.”


Overall


I think I'm going to give the sequels a try, since The 100 itself really just felt like a set up of a lot more. But, still I hate to say it, but watch the TV show instead.
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Octavia is not as bad ass?!?!?! That's just plain wrong. She is my favorite character in the show and I had hope.....but I guess all the talk I've heard that the show is better might be true. Gah. I own the book so I will read it. I'm just not as excited about it as before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Yeah, Octavia in the book is a *SPOILER*







      Drug addict. But it all gets wrapped up in five seconds... so.....

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...