My Feelings Are A Bit Complex Over This One - A Court Of Thorns And Roses (review)

Saturday, June 6, 2015



Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: May 4th, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury
“When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.”



After much thought...


RELATED: A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) | The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass #0.5) | Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) | Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) | Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)


My Review

Okay, I do not entirely know how I feel about this book. Or rather, I am not entirely sure how to translate those feels into words.

I rather enjoyed Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series but I did not fall madly for the first book. It wasn't until the second book that I really began to crave the series.

A part of me wonders if that pattern is repeating for A Court of Thorns and Roses

When the book first started, I really loved it. 

Feyre was an interesting girl with a shit excuse of a family. Now, I personally have done a lot for my family's well being. I've worked to pay household bills, while my, albeit younger, siblings never contributed a cent. So I know exactly the frustrations she felt for having to provide for a group of people who undervalued her services and did little to help themselves. (Although, I like to think my family valued my help, and were my siblings a little older and could actually legally work at them time, they would have. And I was not the sole provider, so yeah I'm nothing like Feyre.)

I got Feyre. I was right there with her. I felt the hatred she felt towards the Faeries, towards her life. My soul understood the longing for more, for adventures. I've had those moments where desperation hits and you just want anyone, anything to take away your pain if only for a moment.

Faerie came. She kill killed faerie. Faerie beast came. She was taken away. 

We met a few fun characters, encountered several scenes that anyone who has seen Disney's Beauty and The Beast could draw parallels to, and watched as the characters started to fall in love. 

There was a lot of swoonworthy moments. Note: book pages do not make epic fans when you are also trying to read the words on them.

I liked Tamlin for the most part. He was an interesting sort. Looking back, I like that those things that he said or did that I thought a bit strange were actually important. You really can see the game he was playing as a faerie, his struggles for his people, and at the same time you could see that he really grew to care for Feyre.

He was definitely a mysterious, bad boy figure, though not THE mysterious bad boy figure. No, I'm giving that title to Rhys. Yeah...

But in a way, Tamlin kind of let me down. He was not entirely what I'd been wanting out of the beast character. I cannot explain those feelings, or show you examples of why I feel this way, but that thought was a constant nagging sensation throughout a large part of this book.

All that said, I really do ship Tamlin and Feyre. They really sort of mesh well together.

The story was flying strong...

Until something happened that I didn't...I couldn't...it just bothered me so much that it took me out of the story. 

Now, maybe I'm the only one who reads this book and has that reaction to the scene. Maybe I am not. But either way, it was a bit to close to one of my triggers. You know, those triggers that make you want to put the book down? I knew what was going to happen the second it was mentioned, even if our clueless heroine did not. 

I spent the next 100 or so pages floating in this sea of:
"Omg, why did that have to happen?"
"OMG, why does this bother me so?"
"Do I want to keep going?"
"But I am not ready to stop yet..."
"Oh, look, we are referencing The Incident. Again."
"WHY?"

It took a bit for me to get back into the book, and I'd be lying if I said that initial level of enjoyment ever returned. 

The story seemed to shift some for the last bit, once we got under the mountain. Almost as if we were reading another book. Sarah J.Maas is so good at writing complex, and ones that we both hate and want to love, that I did start to like the story again during this part of the book. It's not at all what I expected, and had I already not been thrown off while reading this book, I am not sure how I would have viewed this part. 



Words To Live By


"Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy."
"We need hope, or else we cannot endure."
"Pity those who don't feel anything at all."



Overall


This book had so many ups and downs for me, I still cannot pinpoint all reactions to the story. Overall I did enjoy enough of this story to rate it 4 stars, and I want to read the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this one was a really difficult one to rate, I wanted to give it five stars when I finished reading it since the romance and concept was amazing. I agree that Tamlin wasn't completely shown as the beast, he seemed too good to be true you know? I still think it's an very good reads with lots of potential. Great review overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is going to be one of those books that I look back on when I read the sequel and still have complex feelings on.

      Yes! Too good to be true! It still feels like he's hiding something important.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...