The Time I Gave A Series A Second Chance - Onyx (review)

Thursday, May 14, 2015


Title: Onyx (Lux #2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: August 14th, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
“Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…”




RELATED : White Hot Kiss // Stone Cold Touch // Every Last Breath // Half Blood // Damion // Wait for You


My Review


I want to try something a bit new here, for fun. Jessie and I were talking about quotation reviews. So I thought I'd like to try my hand at writing one. We will see how this goes, if people like this style I'll do more, if not it'll fade into the internet ether and will never be seen again.

Book One Recap:

"Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys." (Obsidian)
Oh, how Daemon annoyed me. He was an ass's ass. I didn't get the appeal or understand why legions of woman were falling at his feet.

My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face."(Obsidian)

Characters:

Daemon is still a bit on the rough side in book two.
"'Jesus.' Blake rubbed his throat. 'You have anger management problems. Its like a disease.'
'There’s a cure and it’s called kicking your ass.' (Onyx)

But he also seems to be trying this time around.
"Okay, you're prone to moments of great dickdom, but you're not that bad." (Onyx)
"'I came over to apologize.' (Daemon)
'What?' I was shocked, awed, and shocked some more.'" (Onyx)
And I really have to give him credit for that. I'm not going to start swooning over him anytime soon, but I like him more now than I ever thought possible during book one.

And Katy? Well....
"I understood books. I did not understand boys—especially alien boys." (Onyx)
No girl, you really don't.

There was a lot of this:
"'Do you... feel anything around me?'
'Other than what I felt this morning when I saw how good you looked in those jeans?'
'Daemon.' I sighed, trying to disregard the girl in my that screamed, HE NOTICED ME! 'I'm being serious.'" (Onyx)

And some of that:
"Some things are best left...unknown, you know? People search for answers and they don’t always like what they get. Sometimes the truth is worse than the lie." (Onyx)


But it was all about this:
"Just because I’m human doesn’t mean I’m weak." (Onyx)

Her entire character arc was all about proving something to Daemon, whether it was she was/wasn't in love with him or that she didn't need his protection, that directed her every action.

Romance:

Well, at the beginning,....
"'Resistance is futile, Kitten'
'So is your charm.'" (Onyx)
But then I realized that:
"But I'm insane. You're crazy. Maybe that's why. We just make crazy together." (Onyx)
And they do just kind of mesh well with each other. Their faults balance out, their strengths support the other, and I really can't see someone else ending up with either one.
"I didn't need him to say it, because I was surrounded in his love for me." (Onyx)
And, by the end, I could see that.

Plot:

Other than Daemon-Katy "I Hate You-I Love You" tug of war they had going one, I wasn't sure where the plot was going to take us. But our heroes are all:
"I’m not going to do anything stupid. And even if what I plan is risky and insane, it’s a well-thought-out level of stupidity." (Onyx)
Sometimes their recklessness was entertaining, at others I wanted to shake the stupid right out of them.
"There were always choices. I’d made a string of bad ones myself. At least I could admit that." (Onyx)
Yeah, you made ever single bad choice you could have possible made from page one. But Katy finally started growing some as the pages flew by, and I am hopeful for her character in the next book.

There was a lot in this book plot wise that made you think.
"Memories, even bittersweet ones, are better than nothing." (Onyx)

World building:

From romance to aliens to right and wrong to death and life, this book hit a lot of topics. Somewhere along the way new layers were added on and the series plot line became deeper than I first imagined it was going to be in book one.
"That's the funny thing about trying to escape. You never really can. Maybe temporarily, but not completely." (Onyx)


Overall


I'm glad I gave this series a second chance. Book two really deepened the story line and made it more about humans/aliens/the people around them and not just about this romance that was developing between the two characters.

4 comments:

  1. Book 1 felt like Twilight fanfic for me, but I still thought it was decent enough to read the next book, so I did. And well, I must say that the books just got better and better for me & by the end I was absolutely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, an alien twilight fanfic....I can kind of see that. Now I am really hopeful for the next book. I love it when books improve as we go along.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love the quotes you have shared, it's a different kind of review from the usual. I'm thinking of ordering the first book soon but I have heard mixed reviews about it, maybe I'll just stick to kindle instead. I'm going to give it a go over the summer :) Lovely review <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think whether or not you love the books depends on whether or not you love Daemon. And he is a big a-hole in the first book. He makes these sexist putdown/snarky comments, treats her like scum, etc. He has his reasons, which I can get, but I have a had time letting that initial impression go.

      I think you should read the series, if only so I can know where you stand on the whole love-hate thing. But, personally, this series is a borrow from the library series if that helps your decision any.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...