Top Ten Books Which Feature Characters Who Are Introverts

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Paper Bindings - Top Ten Tuesday - Introverts

A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.



This week's theme is the Top Ten: Books Which Feature Characters Who Are Introverts

Introverts are awesome. However, introverts don't really lend themselves to being the "hero" so most books feature extroverts going around and kicking butt with an occasional scene featuring their introverted friend/sibling/love interest. With that in mind, I chose to make this week's list the Top Ten Books that feature an introvert as a major character.

01. Horatio Horblower - I basically consider good old Horatio  'King of  the introverts'. He doesn't like to be the center of attention, he is socially awkward, he constantly worries about others opinions, and he prefers thoughtful solitude to wild partying. The whole series of books takes place in his head, but the author also cleverly makes it clear that every other character perceives our hero is a way drastically different from the way he sees himself. He is constantly awkward and embarrassed, but he's such an epic hero that half of the side characters hero-worship him. Introvert wish-fulfillment FTW! 


02. Fangirl - Cath is classic introvert, to the degree that she hides in bathrooms to eat her lunch rather than brave a cafeteria (hey, we've all been there, right?) and out right admits that she prefers people on the internet to people in real life.

03. Sense and Sensibility - Elinore is an old school example of introversion. She's pragmatic and enjoys the quiet life.

04. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Arthur Dent just wants to keep his home from being bulldozed.  That and maybe some tea..

05. Persuasion -Another Jane Austen example! Anne is quiet, kind, and romantic. But she also feels the pull of societal pressures and allows other people to influence her to an unfortunate degree.

06. The Cider House Rules - Poor Homer. He's so introverted that it hurts. It doesn't stop him from being all noble and stuff though. Introverts make good friends.

07. The Perks of Being A Wallflower  - Charlie is so socially awkward and lost in his own head that it goes beyond normal introversion. Just like with Homer, it hurts.

08. The Great Gastby -Nick lives vicariously through other people, observing things he doesn't have the energy or desire to do on his own, but admires/is fascinated with despite that. That's like introversion 101.

09. The Hobbit - Bilbo pushes past his introversion even though he misses the comforts and peace of home and his books. Dwarves are loud, messy, and annoying and travel is uncomfortable.

10. What's Left of Me -Eva, the main character, literally lives inside her own head. It's complicated, but I think it counts as introversion



What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Stephanie

Stephanie is a tutor who loves helping people improve and excel. She loves a good story, so is obsessed with books, films, TV, and comics. A regular geek with a heart of gold ;)

12 comments:

  1. Yay for the introverts! I totally need to raid this list for more reads, the emotional connection I felt to Cath in Fangirl was staggering. I don't normally find a lot of books about shy, anxious, introverted characters, and it was so refreshing to identify with an MC so strongly!

    Cath's on my list, too, of characters I'd totally share a library with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Hornblower is King, then Cath is definitely Queen of the Introverts. I agree, I felt a profound connection to Cath and I think she's one of my favorite fictional characters ever. Her library is probably awesome. I loved your list; Cath, Hermione, and Elizabeth Bennett would be my dream bookclub, lol.

      I totally recommend all of these books. The Hornblower series is probably one of the best examples of introversion ever written (in my opinion) but it's also an adventure series set in the Napoleonic War, so I'm not sure it's for everyone.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I love introverts and definitely identify. It's easy to root for them, especially when they become reluctant heroes.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow introvert, I agree that it feels great to see introverts getting a chance to shine :)

      Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  3. I loved The Perks of a Wallflower - I think I read it sometime in 10th grade, the movie was good too although, I preferred the book. Great list!
    Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it in 8th grade, and it totally hit me right in the heart. Thanks for reading and replying!

      Delete
  4. I loved Fangirl! The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series are ones I need to read this summer. I loved the movies. Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! I prefer The Hobbit to The Lord of the Rings, though most people disagree with me on that, lol.

      Delete
  5. Great idea! Yay for introverts. So in love with this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay introverts! The meek shall inherit the earth, and all that jazz ;)

      Delete
  6. Introverts. You win. XD Great list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...