The Book That Will Eat Your Feels For Breakfast | The Orphan Queen | Review

Thursday, April 16, 2015


Title: The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen #1)
Author: Jodi Meadows
Release Date: March 10th, 2015
Genre: Fantasy
Age Group: YA
Source: Purchase

“Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.

She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.

She is a threat. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others.”
RELATED : The Hidden Prince (The Orphan Queen #0.1) | The Glowing Knight (The Orphan Queen #0.2) | The Burning Hand (The Orphan Queen #0.3) | The Black Knife (The Orphan Queen #0.4) | The Mirror King (The Orphan Queen #2) | The Orphan Queen Launch Party | Mirror King Blog Tour - Top 10 Vigilantes | [With Brodi Ashton and Cynthia Hand: My Lady Jane]


Long before The Orphan Queen launch party, a pretty little book came my way. It was a simple little fantasy with a cover that screamed read me. It quickly became my most anticipated book for 2015.

And I wasn't disappointed.  

What I Liked:

  • Black Knife - Marry me? Err....if you were a bit older that is. I loved him. He was such a fun, complex character. I craved every encounter with him and wait oh so patiently for his identity to be officially revealed. (I MAY have accidentally spoiled myself checking to see how many pages there were. Really the words my secret identity should not have jumped out at me and then forced me to find a name. Just rude text.)
  • The Chemistry - One word: Ship. As in, I Ship these two with a fiery passion reserved for falling suns. There is no instalove, there is no awkward scenes that make you want to vomit, just pages full of a slow burn romance that you cannot help but fall in love with.
  • Wil - Wil was a refreshing heroine. She wasn't a whiny, spoiled princess or an average girl with average looks, and an average character. Like any well written character, she had some learning and growing to do, but the girl had confidence and skills that she relied up and proved she was anything but ordinary.

What I Didn't Like:

  • That It Ended - Seriously but not really, Jodi Meadows is an evil overlord to leave us suffering like she did at the end of the book. I need more.

There wasn't really any thing I actually didn't like about this novel.

So go read it now.


Words To Live By


"The pain of what happened – it won’t last eternity.” A lie. I knew very well how pain could last, and fester, and shape a person in unnameable ways."
"'I narrowed my eyes. I don't trust you.'
'I don't trust you either.'
'So we don't move.'
'Ever? He met my eyes again, and searched me.'"
"'You're so optimistic. It's not what I expected from a vigilante who calls himself Black Knife.'
'Well, I considered Optimistic Knife, but I didn't think anyone would take it seriously.'"

Overall

If you only read one book this year, let it be this one, especially if you love YA and fantasy novels.

6 comments:

  1. Wow you must have really loved this novel, I really do like the title though & the premise is quite catchy. The cover bothers me for some reason but I do want to give this book a go. If like to meet this character Wil - wonderful review overall, hopefully I can enjoy it as much as you have :) Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the cover, but I'm not sure it's the best one for the job of promoting this book. Hope you get a chance to read it soon and I hope you enjoy it as much as me too. XD

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see such a great review of this book! I've been really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read it soon! So far I have heard lots of positive reviews, so hopefully you'll enjoy it too.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good! I haven't actually heard about it before now. I do love books that make me feel stuff! Crying is not always bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't heard about The Orphan Queen yet! *tosses book at you* You must read it soon!

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...