The Divergent Series: Insurgent (Book Club at the Movies)

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Paper Bindings | The Divergent Series: Insurgent (Book Club at the Movies)

Carrie and I went to go see Insurgent last week (after finishing Allegiant, Tracy and Stephanie refused to go see it with us) and here are some of our thoughts.

Tisha: Book: 4 stars (2012), 3 stars (2015); Film:3.5 stars
Carrie: Book: 4 stars; Film: 5 stars

Book vs. Film

Tisha: When I first read the book in June of 2012, I was still in love with the series. I really liked the first novel, Divergent (for a short time I even liked it more than The Hunger Games - which now just seems insane to me) and thought Insurgent added some interesting elements to the series, such as: Tobias’/Four’s mother and what secrets the Priors were hiding. Now, realizing the contradictory, nonsensical world that Roth created, I am no longer in love. Still, the film attempted to correct some of the issues in the book. For example, Caleb’s reasons for betraying Tris were much clearer and his internal conflict about it was executed beautifully by Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars). Still, I left the theater at one point to get popcorn, I was that uninterested, something I rarely do. Usually, once I’m in my seat, I’m there for the long haul.

Carrie: I have a confession to make. I only read this series because of book club. At that point they were already on book two, so I had to quickly catch up. Divergent was interesting, but I wasn’t hooked on the series. I never would have rushed out to get Insurgent (library here folks, not a buy book at all) and it probably never would have me it to my TBR if I didn’t want to read the book my friends were reading. By time we get to Allegiant I was done with this series. Nothing made sense, anyone with basic education or common sense could tell you the logic behind the divergents was sinking faster than the Titanic. So I watched Insurgent only so Tisha could have someone to discuss it with.

The movie just was. Visually it was pretty cool, but it had to start fixing fundamental flaws before the two part wrap up that will be the Allegiant movies. Which was a task I wouldn’t have taken on. They changed a lot so I never quite knew where the movie was going to go, which was a plus. But as the credit rolled, all I could think of was “how they hell are they going to tie that to book three?” Because HOW? It completely changed the feel of the whole book.


Acting

Tisha: The acting was well done, when you have a cast that includes: Oscar winner, Kate Winslet (The Reader), Oscar winner, Octavia Spencer (The Help), Oscar nominee, Naomi Watts (The Impossible), Shailene Woodley (The Descendants, The Fault in Our Stars, The Spectacular Now), Ansel Elgort, Mekhi Phifer (ER), Ashley Judd (Double Jeopardy), Daniel Dae Kim (Lost) and Tony Goldwyn (Scandal), you cannot expect anything less. The biggest standout, even in all the mentioned accolades, was actually Miles Teller (Whiplash, The Spectacular Now). He was hilarious, arguably, one of the only good things about the film. There’s one scene in particular, where his timing was perfection.

They all try. Really hard. Still, the film couldn’t be saved.

Carrie: Please, the best part of this movie’s acting was when Peter said exactly what I was thinking. *Award winning moment right there.*


Cinematography

Tisha: It does look cool. We did not see it in 3D, but the visuals, especially in the simulation scenes were great. The film was produced, at least to me, much more as an action film than the first film. Not much character building here and the scenes generally moved from action point to action point.

Carrie: The visual effects carried this movie. How do you fix flaws in the series’ overall plot line? Toss more action in it. If it wasn’t for the cool scenery and futuristic tech we got to see, I might have fallen asleep because they once again failed to make me care about these characters.


Overall?

The dialogue and context was at times ridiculous. The acting elevated the film, but ultimately, like the series, it all ends in a conflicting and senseless mess. Still, is it a fun night out at the movies (even if you are only really ‘hate watching’)? Absolutely. What can I say? I am really just waiting for Mockingjay Part 2.
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I loved both of the book and movie of Divergent, I've been hearing mainly negative reviews about the movie Insurgent. I heard a lot of is slow motion and quite cheesy which depresses me <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather liked the Divergent movie, a lot more than I enjoyed the book. I might be convinced to by the DVD of it, but I'm not sure Insurgent will ever grace my shelves. I think a lot of my hesitation has to do with the things they changed from the book and being unable to see where all they are taking the story. There is a lot of slow parts, and repetitive parts, but maybe you'll like it more? I'm curious as to what you think when you finally get to watch it.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Agreed. I want to see a good YA adaption of a book soon. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I know good YA adaptations can be done. I want more....

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...