The Beholder (review)

Saturday, April 18, 2015

the beholder by ivan amberlake
Title: The Beholder (The Beholder #1)
Author: Ivan Amberlake
Release Date: April 29th, 2013
Genre: Paranormal
Age Group: NA or older
Source: Author
Rating: 3 stars
“Around the world, people die under mysterious circumstances. Each has a sign. Each is a piece of a jigsaw puzzle. A NYC interior designer Jason Walker receives a message saying he is the final piece.

Emily Ethan, a startling beauty with supernatural powers, appears and tells Jason that powers dormant within him are about to wake. He is the only person who can prevent darkness from enslaving the world. He is the Beholder whose advent has been awaited for many years.

Setting out on a journey with Emily, Jason discovers the world he could have never imagined, but the greatest surprise arrives the moment he realizes he has fallen in love with Emily.”
RELATED : Path of The Heretic



My Review

*Received a copy for an honest review.*

Jason Walker had been having nightmares, and not the giant bug or falling from the sky kind either. He dreamed of brutal murders and unspeakable darkness. These visions showed up randomly and there was nothing he could do to prevent them. But when he dreamed of a girl and then later met her, he was pulled from our average into one where light was under attack and evil could very well win.

From there, we spent most of this book on the run from the enemy. According to a prophecy, the Beholder alone can stop the forces of darkness. Emily believed Jason was destined to become the Beholder. There was just one problem, he doesn't have the sight yet. So she was determined to teach him and prepare him for the final confrontation with Pariah.

When the story first started, we watched Jason experience his visions at the most inopportune moment, during his important presentation at work. Very quickly you think you've got a handle on what is happening, and then Emily shows up and wrecks your theories.

I liked the whole sighted concept. It's more than just having powers and more than just a good side and a bad side. They don't just see the world differently, it's like they see the fabric the world is made up of and compel it to obey them. The more we untangle the secrets and discover the truth of what the Beholder is and can do, the more this story takes off.

The characters themselves were interesting. Jason, Matt, and Debbie were just three average people who got drawn into the conflict between good and evil. They had a connection, a bond that pulled them together and made them unique. I liked their interactions, here were three people you could imagine as anyone's best friend.

I didn't like Emily as much, mainly because I think I wanted to strangle the answers out of her. She was both the mentor, and the love interest in the book. The girl was definitely hiding things from Jason, and therefore us, and all I wanted was him to ask the questions that I wanted to have answered.

Tyler, Emily's friend and fellow sighted companion, was my favorite character of the novel. He was that cocky, bad boy like, but a totally reliable friend sort. The biggest unanswered question that I would want book two to answer involves him and a totally spoilers reveal towards the end.

If there was one thing I didn't like about this book, it would be the romance. I knew it was coming, it just turned out differently than I expected. I can get him falling for her. Here was this hot, powerful chick that kicks major butt. I can see her falling for him. She's been searching for him for a long time, and finally found him, so I'm not surprised she fell for the chosen one. But it was just a little to insta love for my tastes. Like I said, in theory I got the love, but for the most part, I didn't really see it happening. There are a few scenes that show their growing feelings and I liked those. But I think I would have enjoyed watching them fall if they weren't spouting I love yous by the end of the book.

That said, I'll be curious to see what happens because of their connection and love in the next book. Because I have a feeling it isn't the end at all.


Words To Live By


"You see, there are two realities. You know one: lackluster and sham. But when you see the other, you'll understand that the reality we are all taught to see is just a disguise."
"You know what's bad? Lately I've experienced so many new, exciting things that I'm afraid soon I won't have anything left to get excited about."
"Dream and reality were about to become one and the same."



Overall


The Beholder was an interesting adventure between forces or light and forces of darkness. The story itself was well written and entertaining enough to keep my interest.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...