TTT#75 Ten Books For Readers Who Like Historical Fiction

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Paper Bindings | TTT#75 Ten Books For Readers Who Like Historical Fiction
A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is: Ten Books For Readers Who Like Historical Fiction

This list was a hard one to come up with. I feel like I missed some big ones. Plus for me, picking a favorite historical fiction book is like picking a favorite child, but nonetheless, below are my top ten historical fiction books.


01. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee - A classic tale about a sleepy southern town. It's a must read for... everyone. I like it because it's a great coming of age story. I'm so excited for the sequel, "Go Set a Watchman" due out July 2015.
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." - Atticus Finch ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

02. "My Brother Sam Is Dead" by  - This book looks at the American Revolution through the eyes of those left at home. It's usually the Civil War that tells about families ripped apart and brothers fighting on opposite sides but America's first war had a lot of that as well. In "My Brother Sam is Dead," readers follow the story of Tim, his Patriot brother Sam, and their Loyalist father. Colonial history is my favorite and this book does a wonderful job of demonstrating that history in an entertaining (yet sad) way.

03. "Sign of the Beaver" by - "Sign of the Beaver" is about 12 year old Matt who is left alone in the Maine wilderness when his father goes off to bring the rest of the family.Over time, Matt befriends a local Native American tribe. I like stories that tell about the conflicts between settlers and the Native Americans during the Colonial era.It is a bit dated in its portrayal of the Native Americans but the overall themes are timeless and it's an interesting adventure tale.

04. "Time for Andrew: a Ghost Story" by  - Ghosts, time travel, and history? Sign me up! It's about two boys, Andrew in 1910 and Drew in the 1990s who switch places after Drew sees Andrew's ghost one night. Loved it as a kid, re-read it as an adult, loved it even more.

05. "New York" by - The author managed to tell not only the historical story of the city but also conveys the changes in mood, attitude, and life for New Yorkers over the centuries. For example, the way the characters relate to each other during the Revolutionary War, such as the concern for the whole rather than the individual, is vastly different from how they interact at the close of the book during the summer of 2009 and as it should be.

06. "All Fall Down" by - The medieval period is just so depressing to read about isn't it? Still, I add this book to the list for making me interested in one the very few historical periods I tend not to "like" to read about. It started off a little slow, with 14 year old Isabel coming off much like the 11 year old protagonist of Nicholls' first work "Ways to Live Forever." Luckily it picked up and Isobel became her own character - stubborn, loving, and conflicted. She responds pretty realistically to what follows after the Black Death comes to her medieval village. "All Fall Down" might be a bit too sad to pick up again but I don't regret reading it and would recommend it to others interested in a good fictionalization of the Middle Ages.
"And I know...that after today I will never feel safe again. I will never be able to love simple and sure and sweet without remembering this moment and being afraid." - "All Fall Down" p. 225

07. "Annie Between the States" by - I can't say enough good things about this book. engaging and wonderfully written- I couldn't put it down. I liked that Annie's character painted a more realistic view of the Civil War. She wasn't a die-hard Unionist or Rebel. She simply wanted to save her home and family. Sadly, a lot of the characters go through unfortunate changes throughout the novel. Annie herself in the beginning is basically your stereotypical Southern Belle and then grows into the head of the family and its moral compass. The several romances she has in the novel are realistic, interesting, and certainly help illustrate Annie's growing maturity. I liked who she ended up with in the end, but hope that she was able to return home again somehow. This novel is a love letter to the South but also highlights the fact that North and South aren't quite that different. 

08. Any book by Ann Rinaldi - I love Ann Rinaldi. I've devoured all of her books and I wish she didn't (seemingly) stop writing a few years ago. Admittedly her last few books,such as "The Family Greene," haven't been as good as her others, but overall her books are amazing. My favorites are "The Fifth of March", "Time Enough for Drums", "Wolf by the Ears", " Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons", "Finishing Becca" and "Cast Two Shadows." She mainly covers the colonial and civil war periods but there are other time periods mixed in there such as the Gilded Age, World War II, and the Tudor period. If you love YA historical fiction, read Ann Rinaldi.


09. "Atonement" by - I go off and on with listing "Atonement" as my favorite book when people ask. It's a moving story about World War II in England. The focus of the book is Briony Tallis, a young girl who sees something she shouldn't during one summer night. Based on what she saw, Briony makes a decision that has lasting repercussions on her entire family. Amazing book and if you read nothing else on this list, I suggest you read this. The movie starring James McAvoy is awesome as well. One of the few book to movie adaptations that are just as good as the book.

10. "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by  - Stephanie recommended it to me and I'm glad she did. Witchcraft, love, research, and colonial history are all mixed into a well crafted and unique book.


Honorable mention: I wanted to list some new books to the list but here are others that I recommend that have been mentioned before on the blog:

  • -"A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray
  • "Code Name Verity" by
  • "In the Shadow of Blackbirds" by
  • "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain
  • "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott
  • "A Northern Light" by


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tracy

Tracy is a history/film fan who loves to read YA, historical and contemporary fiction. She’s also a sucker for a sad tale. Harry Potter (“Harry Potter”), Peeta Mellark (“Hunger Games”), Nathaniel Blake (“Little Men”) and Daniel Landon (“Catcher, Caught”) are her literary boyfriends. She’s also the resident Ravenclaw and librarian.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! There's a lot on here that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...