TTT #74 - Top Ten Books You Would Classify As ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS From The Past 3 Years

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Paper Bindings - TTT #74 - Top Ten Books You Would Classify As ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS From The Past 3 Years

A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is: Top Ten Books You Would Classify As ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOKS From The Past 3 Years.

01. "The Hunger Games" Series by Suzanne Collins- When someone in my book club added the first book in this series to our to-read list I was skeptical. The cover didn’t give much away and the summary on the back didn’t tell me much either. But everyone was talking about it and Entertainment Weekly even did an article about it. So I gave in and gave it a shot. Long story short, I devoured “The Hunger Games” in one night and polished off the other two soon after. I’m sure most people have read this series by now, but if you haven’t, please do. It’s certainly one of my top favorites from the past three years. Plus the movies – except the first one! - aren’t bad either.

02."Legend" Series by Marie Lu - Another dystopia, I know, but I still have to vouch for Marie Lu’s wonderful series. It’s a shame that the “Legend” series gets overlooked for its flashier kin. It has two great protagonists in the form of Day and June for the price of one and an interesting twist on a familiar tale. I also liked how the author thought through her world building – ahem, “Divergent”. Good stuff here.

03. "Past Perfect" by Leila Sales - A fast and fun read about historical reenactors. It's more dialogue heavy then I usually like but I still enjoyed the author's effortless style. I also really liked the main character. She was relatable in her resistance to change yet still remained a funny narrator. Also, the book gets five stars just for being a thinly veiled look at Colonial Williamsburg. The history major in me loved every minute of it.

04. "The Fault in Our Stars" & "Looking For Alaska" by John Green- I was late to the John Green party - especially with "Looking for Alaska"- but I'm completely on that train now. Both books are great. What I like about Green is that he's not afraid to tackle tough subjects. Sure, his books are aimed at teens but I think he also taps in to what it means to be human in a way that all ages can relate to.

05. "Girls in White Dresses" by Jennifer Close - “Girls in White Dresses” is the sole “adult” book on my list. It’s about that time in a girl’s life when everyone she knows is either getting married or having babies. I loved how relatable the characters were and I enjoyed the author’s humor. A must read for 20-30 something year old women.

06. "Just One Day" by Gayle Forman - I read this book while traveling overseas for the first time by myself. It’s the perfect book for just that sort of occasion because it’s all about “finding yourself”, love and travel. I’m generally not a romance type person and even I found myself swooning over the love story in this. It’s about Allyson, a play it safe girl, who meets Willhem, a boy who’s anything but, while traveling in Europe after her graduation from high school. He asks her to spend just one day with him and over the course of twenty four hours her life is changed forever. This book is worth it just for the amazing descriptions of the countries Allyson visits. I also highly recommend the sequels, “Just One Year” in Willhem’s point of view, and “Just One Night” as well.

07. "A Really Awesome Mess" by Trish Cook & Brendan Halpin - “A Really Awesome Mess” is about a group of teens in a reform school and their struggle to understand themselves and the world around them. It’s funny, unique, and the characters are interesting. It’s also a perfect example of how to insert diversity into YA without being offensive or insincere about it.

08. "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell - I loved this book a lot. I loved how weirdly awesome Cather was, I liked how the author understood all the wonderful but at times annoying (but mostly awesome) complexities to being a twin – hey there, JoRayne!-, and I just loved all the characters. I found myself wanting to read more by the time I reached the last page.

09. "In the Shadow of Blackbirds" by Cat Winters - I’ve gushed about this one before on the blog but I’ll do it again. “In the Shadow of Blackbirds” is about the 1918 Spanish Influenza outbreak and a headstrong young girl who is trying to make sense of a world gone completely nuts. I loved the supernatural love story between the main character, Mary Shelley Black and Stephen. We don't get to see Stephen much on the page but through Mary's voice and their letters to each other, the author allowed this boy to be wonderfully developed. So much so that I wanted him to be alive as desperately as Mary did. Books like this are wonderful examples of why historical fiction is awesome. Sure, I'd read about World War I and the 1918 pandemic but it so often gets overlooked by the more flashy 1920s and WWII that came after it and the exciting Victorian era and Gilded Age that came before. "In the Shadow of Blackbirds" really made me feel like I was in 1918. I got the sense of just how horrible it must have been to be alive back then. The world's burning down by war and then people are dropping dead of the flu. On top of that, an entire social and economic system is crumbling to the dust. No wonder people turned to the supernatural or just something to make sense of all this loss. I can’t recommend this book enough.

10. "Necromancing the Stone" by Lish McBride - "Necromancing the Stone" is the second book in McBride's series about Sam, a necromancer. The plot is too weirdly complicated to explain here, I'll just say if you like supernatural stuff, give this series a shot.


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tracy

Tracy is a history/film fan who loves to read YA, historical and contemporary fiction. She’s also a sucker for a sad tale. Harry Potter (“Harry Potter”), Peeta Mellark (“Hunger Games”), Nathaniel Blake (“Little Men”) and Daniel Landon (“Catcher, Caught”) are her literary boyfriends. She’s also the resident Ravenclaw and librarian.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about In the Shadow of the Blackbirds. I read Cat Winter's The Cure for Dreaming last month and really enjoyed it, so I'm eager to pick up this highly praised novel. Excellent choices!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, to hear some love for In the Shadow of Blackbirds! If you read it let me know :) Thanks for checking out my list. I liked your list too - just finished The Fifth Wave, I liked it also. Haven't read the others on your list, I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
  2. Fangirl and In the Shadow of Blackbirds were both right on the outside of my ten. Great picks!

    Check out my TTT and my Last List Blog Hop Review and Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my list! Your TTT is great. Code Name Verity was right out side my list and I've been curious about some of the other such as Cinder and the Knife of Never Letting Go.

      Delete
    2. The Lunar Chronicles and the Chaos Walking series are both must reads!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...