The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth | Romance In Books

Friday, March 20, 2015

Paper Bindings | The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth | Romance In Books

Part three of a three part discussion dealing with romance in books.



Ah, the dreaded triangle. 

Or the convoluted-twice-stepped-on-smashed-with-a-mallet-equal-but-not-really-scalene triangle. Sometimes it’s a quadrilateral blob or even an octagonal mess. Whatever you want to call it, the trend seem to demand one.

Whether you love them or hate them, we just cannot seem to escape love triangles.
Tracy: I hate them with a fiery passion. I think it's a lazy way of making whomever is in the center of the triangle likable and also a lazy way of added conflict to the story. I especially dislike it when it's a Mary Sue character (ahem Rory Gilmore/Joey Potter). The main character will angst over it and the two love interests will just... wait. Ugh. I might be making an assumption but I don't think that realistically, too many people have more than one person madly in love with them and has both of them willing to wait for years while they figure stuff out. As Cinderella said in "Into the Woods," "I wish." haha. Give me two characters and let me watch them fall in love. I'd much rather have that than a love triangle.

Carrie: *claps* Thank you for not making me sit here on the I hate triangles side of the road alone. I can count on like two fingers the number of triangles that I think work well for the story. (Tessa-Will-Jem is my pick below.) Usually they are about making the girl (or guy, as the case may be) chose between two different aspects of themselves, reflected by the choice of the two different guys. I do not believe in love at first sight, as much as I wish otherwise, but I do believe in like at first sight. So I can get the initial attraction between multiple people, but I think it takes an exceptional author to make me believe it when two different, and still equally real, love stories are happening at the same time.



What Makes Up A Triangle:


•Inability to make a single choice -

Sometimes this choices is unnecessary plot drama because we always need to have two boys/girls competing over the same toy. But there are times, often when triangles are written well, that the choice between two guys reflects something deeper than which hottie you want to kiss.

•Lust - All of a sudden all the hotties look your way. That new guy/girl who just moved to town? Yup, your soul mate. But what to do with the current ball and chain?

•Polar Opposites - They are ALWAYS opposites. Always a good guy and a bad boy. An Angel and a Demon. Your super secret special power is now common knowledge. One wants to stop you, one wants to help you, but they both want to be locked in a closet with you.



Ones That Work:


•Tessa - Will - Jem from the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare - Now I picked Will early on to root for, so I would have been happy if Tessa chose him at the end. Yet, at the same time, I really felt her love for Jem as it wove itself around her feelings for Will. If at any point in the series, Tessa said “Him. I choose Jem.” I would have been okay with that too. Not only did I love her connection and tension between both boys, but their love for each other shone through the pages. She had valid reasons for wanting both boys, and she genuinely cared for both of them. This was not a romance where she only wanted one and stalled her decision making process by kissing the other. In fact, I would have been okay if all three ended up together, that was how powerful their connections were written.

•Lena - Alex - Julian from the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver - This was one of those series where book one has you rooting for one guy, and you think that's it. But then book two comes along, and you find yourself rooting for the other guy too. Oliver did a good job of making both men good in different ways and bringing out different characteristics of Lena.



Ones That Didn’t:


•The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer - I’ve read the books, and I have seen the movies. They weren’t the greatest books ever written, but I didn’t hate them either. But what I did dislike was the romance. One one hand we have an old perv who liked to sneak in her room to watch her sleep, and on the other we had the friendzoned BFF with posturing issues. Issues with one caused her to turn into a suicidal mess (I’m not even going to talk about a what a horrible message that book two was) and the other was purely rebound. Why did she want either of them? For that matter, why did they want her?

•Matched series by Ally Condie - Cassia, Xander, and Ky - This was one we've purposely forgotten much about it, except how much we hated it. Most of what we'd like to say about this one involves massive book three spoilers so we cannot share our thoughts here. But nothing about this one was fresh, and we really feel like it was obvious from the start that one individual was never going to be the one chosen.



What do you guys think about love triangles? What are some you love? Ones you hate?



Paper Bindings

Even when you are not looking for a love story, romance is all the time appearing in novels. Some times it is expected, sometimes it is a surprise, but either way, it gives us a lot to talk about.

Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:
The Course of True Love Never Did Run Smooth - Triangles
(You are here.)

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the twilight one, I actually didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to do :( New Moon was kinda better though but the love triangle made me cringe. Wonderful review x Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had a thought, if we took out the romance triangle from the series, was there even a plot to the books? They all hinged around her relationship with Edward and/or Jacob. None of the events that made up the books would have happened that way without their romance. I never really thought about it that way but it makes me like them even less.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Jem-Tessa-Will is totally my OT3 ;)

    And I see that Moulin Rouge gif! Ewan McGregor reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* read book three so I have someone to talk spoilers with.

      I knew connecting the blog 6 degrees to Ewan would amuse you. XD

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...