Eve Brenner Zombie Girl (review)

Monday, March 23, 2015

eve brenner zombie girl by a giacomi
Title: Eve Brenner: Zombie Girl (The Zombie Girl Saga Book 1)
Author: A. Giacomi
Release Date: January 25th, 2015
Genre: Zombies
Age Group: NA
Source: Author
Rating: 3 stars
“Eve used to be an ordinary girl, from an ordinary town, with ordinary dreams, but her dreams rapidly turn into nightmares when one grave mistake leaves her a little less than human and a lot less average.

Eve’s not quite the same girl she used to be. She desperately clings to her humanity as new desires, new abilities, and new urges take over with each passing day.

Eve Brenner: Zombie Girl is a tale that takes you on an emotional and terrifying journey as Eve struggles to cope with her new life and find a cure for her strange illness before time runs out. She desperately clings to her humanity as she tries to control the monster she knows is lurking inside her.

Turns out living was the easy part.”


My Review

*Received a copy for an honest review.*

When the author contacted me to see if I would be interested in reviewing Eve Brenner Zombie Girl, I was curious. I like zombie stories, in fact the Resident Evil movies are some of my favorites. (Don't judge, you wish you were that bad-ass too.) So of course I said yes to reviewing the book.

The novel was told in three (main) alternating point of views: Eve, Cameron, and Alex. Eve and her two friends were on a dig site when Eve decided to explore on her own and something attacked her. As time passed, her new zombie status became more and more apparent.

In a way, Eve was kind of like a daywalker that you see in some vampire novels/movies. Only zombiefied. She was dead, had some new abilities, and needed a diet overhaul, but she still retained her memories and thought capacity. If she kept herself full, it was almost as if nothing was wrong.

The whole thing made the zombie aspect of this novel fun and interesting. I'm not sure how much of the mythology behind the zombie status I buy, once we finally learned it, but I can't complain about the direction it took the story.

Eve was interesting, and bitten Eve was far better than prezombie Eve. She started out, not selfish per say, but focused on herself. She was looking for the adventure/discovery she imagined she would have on the dig in Egypt, so she ignored the safety barriers put in place to keep people out. Exploring the new area was what changed her life when a creature gnawed on her arm. I liked that she was brave and strong, because it made things so much more believable as I watched her become this other, and better person.

I have to admit, I did not like Cameron at all. Cam was the best friend, the one that we couldn't date because it would change the whole friendship. He was handsome and amusing, and all the girlies loved him. Even Eve. The attraction from both sides was obvious from the get go; there was no way this book was ending without a kiss.

I could see why he might like Eve, she was fun and adventurous, yet also loyal and protective. But looking back at Cameron, all I can think of was he was a wuss. Think male damsel in distress and you won't be that far off.

I really, really had a hard time with his background/story arc. Cameron's father was a drunk and abused him on what sounded like a regular bases. Land in the hospital, you're lucky to be alive, kind of beatings. Cameron had tough person potential and he could have easily defended himself, except he froze every time. I can completely understand the mental aspect of abuse and why he kind of shut down. Yet Cameron was so focused on his love for his father that his actions later on towards a certain individual after certain events was way too aggravating. By all means, lets back the man that almost killed you over those who stood beside you and would have done anything for you.

I liked Alex more than I liked Cameron, but not as much as Eve. She was interesting, but I think we could have been okay without her point of view. At times it felt like she was being set up to be Cameron's rebound love interest, and others it was as if she could have been the puppet-master tossing Eve and Cameron together. I don't think her point of view added anything new until very late in the story, but that could have been worked around.

Zombie Girl was one of those novels that had a slow start. It took a bit for me to get into these character's heads and care about their struggles. Going back to college and how much time we spent there before digging into the who, where, what, when, whys of Eve's attack kept things at that pace. But once things got moving, the story got captivating. I really wanted to know how Eve was going to fix the mess she made, and save the day like the hero she could be.


Words To Live By


"Its amazing how friends of many years don't even need to speak anymore, and they just can sense the other's thoughts." (10%)
"I don't think it's fair that I get to play the hero and the villain in this crazy saga." (58%)



Overall


If you are looking for a different kind of zombie novel, then you might enjoy this one. I would say the book is more humor and budding awkward romance, than it is anything in the horror genre, so don't see the word zombies and think horror. I didn't hate this book or skim or anything, but I cannot say that I care enough about the characters to read book two.

2 comments:

  1. That cover looks so creepy! I haven't read a zombie book lately, this one sounds interesting :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely looks like she might eat you for a midnight snack. XD

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...