Stone Cold Touch (review)

Thursday, February 5, 2015

stone cold touch by jennifer lynn armentrout
Title: Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements #2)
Author: Jennifer Lynn Armentrout
Rating: 5 Stars

“Every touch has its price

Layla Shaw is trying to pick up the pieces of her shattered life—no easy task for a seventeen-year-old who’s pretty sure things can’t get worse. Her impossibly gorgeous best friend, Zayne, is forever off-limits thanks to the mysterious powers of her soul-stealing kiss. The Warden clan that has always protected her is suddenly keeping dangerous secrets. And she can barely think about Roth, the wickedly hot demon prince who understood her in ways no one else could.

But sometimes rock bottom is only the beginning. Because suddenly Layla’s powers begin to evolve, and she’s offered a tantalizing taste of what has always been forbidden. Then, when she least expects it, Roth returns, bringing news that could change her world forever. She’s finally getting what she always wanted, but with hell literally breaking loose and the body count adding up, the price may be higher than Layla is willing to pay…”
RELATED : White Hot Kiss // Every Last Breath // Onyx // Half Blood // Damion // Wait for You

I loved White Hot Kiss. It had the right blend of romance, swoon worthy gentlemen, and paranormal intrigue. So I just HAD to buy Stone Cold Touch when it came out. Then it got pilled under my massive TBR and I lost track of it.

But when I finally got around to reading Stone Cold Touch I was not disappointed.

Book two picked up a smidgeon after book one's ending. Poor Layla was suffering from a massive case of emotional feels overload after the events of book one's climax. Zayne, her ever loyal best friend, was right there waiting to pick up her and put her together again. Only, Roth wasn't gone for good, and things got deadly following his return.

Roth is my boy. I loved him in White Hot Kisses and I loved him in Stone Cold Touch. I always seem to fall for the bad boy with the snarky sense of humor. Roth was his usual self in this book, only he was a bit changed after the events of the previous books. By the time I finished the last page, my affection for him only grew. To learn why, and my reasons are many, one must read and shift through all the spoilers to reach the last page.

Layla was interesting this time around. She grew up some after the events of the previous book, but she is not there yet. She spent a lot of time torn between moping of Roth and denying her feelings for Zayne. It could have been boring and your typical romance triangle, but I think there was something about it that worked wonderfully.

Layla was both demon and gargoyle. "Good" and "bad" mixed up into one not so human package. Each boy represented a part of her (keep those thoughts out of the gutter now.) Layla struggled with her dual nature, in part, the same way she struggled with her attraction and connection to both guys. She's buried and fought against her demon heritage for so long, wanting only to be a part of the gargoyle household she lives in. Because of her own actions in White Hot Kiss her demonic nature is emerging and the pull to suck souls is even stronger. Throughout the book, her interactions with each boy tugged one side her and in the process, she was slowly discovering what it means to be of mixed heritage and that the world is full of grays.

The one who grew on me the most was Zayne. It's not that I didn't like him in book one, Roth just kind of steamrolled him out of my line of sight. Zayne, to his core, believed in Layla. Yes, she was part gargoyle. Yes, she was part demon. But she was Layla. He saw her, and she was so much more than the labels that trapped her. I've always wished I had that kind of support, someone who saw not the true me I hide from the world, but the me I could grow to be. How could I not love him?

If you are not a fan of romance, than this series might not be for you. Our heroes may have had to track down and stop a Lilian from destroying their world, but the romance plot was massive in this story. I really hate love triangles, despise them even. Yet, the connections between Zayne and Layla, and Layla and Roth were each valid and believable. Being with Zayne made sense, and ending up with Roth was equally valid. (Although more favorable in my mind.) I spent most of the book torn, believing it could truly go either way. And with readers getting a say in who she winds up with, the suspense might just kill me before book three is released.

Plot wise, Stone Cold Touch was full of fun, humor, suspense, and romance. I really liked the concept of her mutating powers and how it played out to the end. During book one and into book two, we've really only had just teasers about what she was and everything she was capable of because everyone was still keeping her in the dark for their own reasons. Boy was that aggravating for her and us as a reader. So these new twists to what she's already learned, kept things interesting and kept story heated. However, it also made certain things predictable. Only a boy crazy, tormented girl could have failed to spot the Lilian pretty early on. And then in the middle. And later. And at the end- oh wait, there it was.

(Note: Do NOT check the page count in this book unless you want to be massively spoiled like I was. I just wanted to know how long the book was! Granted, like I mentioned previously, you can figure it out on your own.)


Words To Live By

"Love is a strange creature one thinks one has a grasp on and understanding of, only to discover later that it was only the barest taste of the real thing."

"I don’t deserve you.” “See, that’s where you’re wrong … That’s where you’ve always been wrong. You deserve everything."

"I love you Layla. Do you hear me? I've loved you since the first moment I heard your voice and I will continue to love you. No matter what. I love you."


Overall

Would I recommend this series? Heck, yes! (FYI, my paperback version had a special scene from Zayne's point of view. Similar to the one Whtie Hot Kiss had from Roth's. - Make sure you look for it, in case is not standard.) Jennifer Lynn Armentrout has one me over as a fan and I will continue to look forward to any book she writes.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! It surprised me how much I grew to like Zayne by the end of the book. I really can't decide between the two haha. I'm really curious to see who she will choose in book 3! If I had to guess, I think readers will choose Roth. He's the bad boy and also the first love interest that was introduced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would like Zayne this much by how he was in the first book. If I didn't love Roth so much, I would be torn too. This reader thing makes me nervous. I want to go reread all the reviews to get a better feel of what the readers think. I do think the JLA is going to make us wait until the last possible second in the book to find out for sure.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...