Soul Crossed (review)

Monday, February 23, 2015


Title: Soul Crossed (Of Demons and Angels #1)
Author: Lisa Gail Green
Release Date: February 25th, 2015
Genre: Angels - Demons
Age Group: YA
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 1 generous star

“One Demon.

One Angel.

One Soul.

Josh lived a reckless, selfish life, so upon his death, escaping the eternal torments of Hell by assuming the role of a powerful, soul-corrupting demon is an easy choice. His first soul assignment doesn’t seem too hard: the mortal Camden is already obsessed with weapons, pain, and torture. If only Josh wasn’t distracted by Cam's beautiful friend, Grace.

Grace never expected to die violently at age sixteen, but now she’s an Angel, responsible for saving a soul. She can already see past Camden’s earthly flaws, so the job should be be easy. If only that handsome, playboy Josh would stop getting in the way.

It’s forbidden for an Angel to be with a Demon, so if Josh and Grace stop resisting each other, the results would be disastrous.

And only one can claim Cam’s soul.”
*Received a copy via NetGalley for an honest review.*

*This review contains spoilers, you are warned.*



This is a hard review for me to write. I requested this book on NetGalley because it sounded fun and interesting. I'm not always up for Angels/Demons compared to other paranormal groups, but I was in the mood to read a good one.

Which, sadly, was not what Soul Crossed turned out to be for me.

Josh and Grace were both recently deceased. One went to heaven, one went to hell. Ten guesses which. Basic demon/angel training behind them, the duo are sent to earth where the will try and tempt a soul in distress to their side and start or prevent the end of days. Oh, and fall madly in love for no reason.

But that's about where the story lost me.

See, this soul we were fighting over? I really don't get the "light" part. I guess were are getting religious here about what crimes are forgivable and which are not. Why is torturing and killing animals not as soul destroying as killing a human? The kid had a psycho/serial killer vibe going on. Oh, look, the girl I have the hots for gave me a pretty puppy *insert psycho theme music*...I felt more for that dog than I did a single human in this story. Unless you count loathing. I didn't for one second believe Cam was redeemable.

Now I watch thrillers and read murder mysteries as much as the next girl, and I've even seen some of the shows Investigation Discovery about crimes and stuff, but this book disturbed me. This kid and what he did, I really just cannot even begin to talk about it. He could have easily been featured on one of the ID shows of FBI's Most Wanted list. It was evident early on, that this book was never going to be for me.

I could almost ignore Cam if the other two were better characters. From the second we meet Josh, I loathed him. Here once again is your stereotypical YA hero who is a party hard, male slut with absolutely zero chemistry and negative personality scores. The instant he sees Grace it's "she's SO hot," "I'm going to sleep with her," "what? she turned me down? let's go find a random girl to hook up with." He's tossing our glamour left and right making all the girlies pant with lust.

Grace was too dumb to live. Which was sadly, not the reason she died. (And yes, that person you think killed her the second that it is mentioned, is the person who killed her. No real surprises here.) She was so naïve, fruity pink that I just couldn't take it anymore.

"Josh is fun to be with. He flirts with everything with breasts, but I suspect it has more to do with his need for acceptance and love than anything else. I'd say this to him, though I also suspect he's deep in denial."

YOU JUST MET THE DUDE! You do not have this instant understanding of all his years of therapy needing moments. Never going to happen.

Then we get to the instalove romance, and this was the moment I was done with this book. He rapes her. Not in the hold her down and forces himself on her sense of the word. But he purposely does not tell her that by sleeping with him, she will become property of the devil and a fallen angel. He knows that if she leans this, she will not sleep with him. So he lies, fucks her, and steals her glowing future so she can end up with him for eternity. NOT LOVE. He takes away her decision making moment to get what he wanted, this is rape.

"Just to be safe, I'm going to wait to explain things to her. Sometimes you have to do something for someone's own good. I'll save her the pain involved if I make this one decision for the both of us."

FOR HER OWN GOOD! Rapist.

I just can't even...flat characters, disturbing characters, rapelike moments. Just no. Never again.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...