The Year's Not So Hot Start (The Eh Files volume 8)

Friday, January 30, 2015

Paper Bindings | The Eh Files

For all those books rated from DNF to, but not including, three stars, I present to you The 'Eh' Files. At the end of each month I'll be listing all those books that make this category. Since I am aware that some books that are not my cup of tea, but may be something other readers enjoy, I'll include a couple of sentences explaining my rating choice.


So here is the latest batch:
* The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher - DNF
* Rooms by Lauren Oliver - 2/5 stars


DNF at chapter 5ish. (I really don't recall.)

The prologue didn't quite grab my attention, but it started out interesting enough. Then we completely flipped things around and started god knows where. Maybe if I finished the book, I might understand how it connected a bit more. But we had so many pov characters in the first few chapters that I couldn't get to know anyone. Add in the fact that we were dumped into this world, with explanations that didn't entirely make sense......and I had no clue what the hell was happening. Things were vague and since I didn't know the characters, I just plain didn't care what happened to them.

Then more things happened, yet nothing really happened, and I just got bored. This book was just not for me.








♥♥
This was almost a DNF, but some part of me just couldn't let it go. I mean something HAD to happen. I wasn't just reading about these boring, really messed up people for no reason, right?
Right?
No, I think I was wrong. In the end nothing really happened. Sure we had runaways and hook ups with the delivery men. But NOTHING happened. This book tries to be a character driven novel looking at a messed up family and watching them coming to terms with their issues and letting go of the past hurts that screwed their lives up completely. But things moved too slowly, and there wasn't a single characters that I liked enough to suffer through this slow pace for.
So I skimmed. I didn't miss much. (Except for one of the girl's meaningless hook ups apparently. But I'm sure if was just as blah and self destructing as the second one. Maybe it was with the lawyer guy she was flirting with. Who knows? Who cares?)
There were too many POVs in this book, and too many characters that I just did not care about. We had some screwed up ghosts unable to leave the house they died in, a teenage son who wants to kill himself, a young woman who sleeps with any male she comes across, and an alcoholic mother who is in denial. Sounds like a bad soap opera cast.
 If there was just MORE in this story, then it could have been amazing, instead it just fell flat.   




2 comments:

  1. Ouch, I'm glad I didn't try to read Rooms; I don't think I would like the book you describe. The Oversight sounded interesting when I first heard about it, but so far I haven't picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the fence about Rooms to start with. I heard so many people who were dying to read it turn around and talk about how disappointing it was. But I still wanted to read it. I'd have to agree with those initial reviewers.

      I think Oversight could have turned itself around. But I'm at that point where I want to read so many books and I have WAY too many owned/unread books to force myself to read a book I am just not feeling.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...