So Many Books What's A Girl To Do - Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed

Monday, January 12, 2015

Paper Bindings - So Many Books What's A Girl To Do - Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed

If you are anything like me, than your TBR (to be read) pile is out of control. Unless, of course, you do not count the 795 books I want to read or the Almost 300 owned and unread as out of control.

In that case, I am doing just fine. Spectacular even. Move along now, nothing to see here.

*waits*

Still here?

Perfect.


It has come to my attention that I am a book hoarder, and am out of my bookish mind. But my dear friends, there is hope! The wonderful Crini has created and allowed us spreadsheet-ignorant folks the chance to use a nifty spreadsheet designed to hold us accountable for our bookish ways. Okay, maybe that wasn't the intent, but it's the lesson I'm taking out of it.


January is a time of resolutions, and while I do have my list of bookish ones already, there is one that stands out to me. Like I tripped over a 795 pound brick and fell on my face in the middle of a crowded room stand out to me. Something has to be done to get my TBR list back down to manageable numbers. Obviously never sleeping and never adding/buying new items are two scenarios unlikely to happen, therefore I've come up with a plan to wrangle my TBR back into it's pen.

Something Old
Something New
Something Borrowed
(Something for Review)

Something Old is exactly what it sounds like. This is where the majority of the three hundred come into play. Any book I own that did not come out in 2014 is considered old to suit my purposes.

But what about those 2014 releases that I own? Well, they are Something New. Out of the nine hundred and ninety five books , this is probably the most manageable group since 2014 is over and I am official on a very limited book budget. I should be able to get these under control soon. I hope anyways.

Oh, my library, Something Borrowed is just for you. Now this one is a tough one, because it could be ANY book out there that I want to read. I can very easily hit those tiny little check marks and have a truck load ready for pick up in a few days. Therefore, my goal is rather modest. *crosses fingers* Until the owned TBR pile is culled, I solemnly swear that I will only check out bookclub books, and any volume I need to read through the incomplete series I own. But then again, I am a Slytherin and am up to no good, so I could be lying about this whole thing.

Which brings me to Something For Review. I've only been a member of NetGalley for a few months now. I've gotten quite a few reviews, but I am currently sitting at 100%. I will continue to request no more than five books at a time, and review them in a timely fashion to keep my ratio high. As for those books that authors request reviews on, I will read them in a timely fashion as well.

Every week I am going to read at least one from each category. Any extra books read will, mood depending, come out of the old or new categories.

If I keep this up, I can read a fair amount from all categories. More importantly, I shouldn't stall myself out like I did last year because I got tired of reading the same thing over and over.

What about you guys? How many books are there on your TBR pile? Have any tips or plans to successfully managing these fickle beasts?

4 comments:

  1. This resolution is really great! and I don´t own that many unread books but my reading pile is big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let yourself own this many! It completely craziness! Hopefully you'll be able to tackle your tbr pile too.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I have just over 110 books on my kindle and bookshelf and I consider that out of control for me. I'm hoping to reduce that to a more manageble level this year too.You're system sounds like a good one and I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope this works for me too. If it does, I may have to add in the kindle/nook ebooks because that pile is scary on its own. Hopefully you can manage to always keep your number down, it's craziness trying to plan to read all these books.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...