Rite of Rejection (review)

Saturday, December 20, 2014


Rite of Rejection by sarah negovetich
Title: Rite of Rejection
Author: Sarah Negovetich
Release Date: December 4th, 2014
Genre: Dystopian
Age Group: YA
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 3 Stars
Goodreads
“Straight-laced, sixteen-year-old Rebecca can’t wait for her Acceptance. A fancy ball, eligible bachelors, and her debut as an official member of society. Instead, the Machine rejects Rebecca. Labeled as a future criminal, she’s shipped off to a life sentence in a lawless penal colony.

A life behind barbed wire fences with the world’s most dangerous people terrifies Rebecca. She reluctantly joins a band of misfit teens in a risky escape plan, complete with an accidental fiancé she’s almost certain she can learn to love.

But freedom comes with a price. To escape a doomed future and prove her innocence Rebecca must embrace the criminal within.”
*Received a copy for an honest review*
I requested Rite of Rejection on Netgalley because the cover design caught my eye and it sounded interesting. But here is the thing, dytopian novels will never be my genre. So it really takes a lot for them to wow me.

When the book started, Rebecca was searching for a dance card with her best friend and their mothers. Right away we were hit with the details of this world. The rich were rich and the poor were poor. But there were those, like Rebecca's mother who want to rise above their station, because with assignments begin chosen by the government, stations could be changed. There was future technology present, namely the machine that judged them, but in a way, it reminded me of a historical novel because of the society values and stuff. Which I really liked.

While judging youths and assigning them roles to control the population is not a new thing in dystopian novels, it was still interesting to read about. I really enjoyed the concept of the PIT. It was sort of a lawless, concentration camp, but with possibilities. But of course not EVERYONE in the PIT was going to be a hardened criminal, so sweet and incredibly naïve Rebecca soon found herself swept in with the rest of the trash the Cardinal wanted taken out.

Why?

She was too smart for her own good.

Except, that's where I started to have a hard time with this novel. When she first gets to the lawless PIT, she witnessed some things and survives a few incidences that were right to make her feel terrified for her future. She had no future at all, unless she could find a protector of sorts. So she was willing to do whatever it took to get the misfits to let her join them. And I one hundred percent get that.

But then we get steamrolled over with this love bit. Dare I say it? Love triangle. Because after witnessing a rape, my first thought is 'OMG HOT BOY! HOT BOYZ EVERYWHERE!' too. Of course, the rest of her thoughts center on 'we cannot do this, we are not monsters/criminals/etc.'

Do you hear that? The street thugs are laughing at their next meal.

Things just feel forced for so long. Maybe it was just me thinking of how I would have reacted to the whole situation, but I think she should have toughened up a lot sooner than she did. Maybe she was not ready to make any tough decisions, but the girl who passed the test to join the misfits, was not the same girl that fluttered about for the next chunk of pages. Yes, there was growth, but for a girl who had enough from life to suddenly have nothing, her basic survival instincts were severely lacking.

My interest was sliding downhill the more I read.

And then, BAM! Just as suddenly as the wrong feeling began, it ended.

I have never been so happy to read something horrible happened to the characters in my life. Normally, I cringe and cry when authors play a mean game of beat the character down during their stories. But thank you almighty Sarah Negovetich, because you just saved the book. I may be the only one pleased with certain events, certainly the characters were rattled, but I was so pleased, I had to tweet about my excitement. Spoiler and name free of course.

But it fixed everything - well, naturally not everything of course, the characters still had a lot to deal with - but event eliminated that nagging feeling that something basic was wrong. Rite of Rejection was once again exciting and held my curiosity.

From there the pages flew by, and I was generally concerned about what was going to happen to them. Could they do it? Did they have a future? I was really excited as the pages drew to a close. Something was going to happen, something big that changed everything, I just knew-

And then it ended.

Either the book ended in the middle of the action and we are left to our own devices to construct an ending OR Rite of Rejection is actually book one of a series and we are left with a cliffhanger. And the fact is, I just don't know for sure. My brief check did not yield any official results, but many reviewers were talking about a book two. So, my hope is there is going to be a second novel, because I am pretty curious as to what is about to befall our characters.


"I always thought falling in love would be easy. Add it to the list of things I can't manage."

"He underestimates us. He forgets just how dangerous a smart man can be when he's pushed into a corner."

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...