Mistborn: The Final Empire | Review

Monday, November 17, 2014



Title: Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Release Date: January 25th, 2006
Genre: Fantasy
Age Group: YA or Older
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads

“In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?

In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage - Allomancy, a magic of the metals.”

RELATED: The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) | The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) | The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive #1)

There I was minding my own business, going about my day, when certain other bloggers started talking about Mistborn on twitter. 

They went on and on about the #mistbornfeels and the characters. Naturally, I had to check out the book on Goodreads. (You know who you are...)

When I saw the author listed as Brandon Sanderson, I had an 'oh' moment. Because I happen to have several books written by him. (The last few of the Wheel of Time series he finished up on behalf of the late Robert Jordan. Not that I read them yet, I need to reread the earlier books first, since I've forgotten most of what happened. But I own them.) Brandon Sanderson was a familiar enough name, and the series came highly recommended, so I picked it up.

Book one of the Mistborn series follows a crew of thieves in their desperate, long shot attempt to overthrow the evil Lord Ruler. 

Kelsier assembled a group made of skilled allomancers -those with the fairly rare ability to use metal to manipulate the world around them- and one unlikely young Mistborn. As if that wasn't enough, we have court machinations to shift through, deadly Steel Inquisitors to dodge, and an army to raise.

And I loved every bit of it.

When we first met Kelsier, I was a little taken back. 

Who was this man who could destroy a lord's home like it was kindle waiting for a flame? Did he even care that he left the Skaa workers with no choice but to abandon their brutal yet "stable" lives, and run for the caves where rebels were rumored to live? And then I got to know him. Somehow this man who lived for revenge, yet still had the gall to smile, won me over. The way he treated his crew, the way he rescued Vin and pulled her out of the shell she buried herself in, it all just spoke to me. Kelsier quickly became my favorite character.

Speaking of Vin, I loved her. 

Here was a girl who was beaten and threatened daily by her very own crew. The fear of something worse kept her head down, and the treatment she endured shattered her ability to trust others. But she was already so very strong for her age, and she did not break. The more Kelsier and co taught her about Allomancy and what it means to have people you can rely on, the more she grew into a spectacular individual.  

Kelsier and Vin were far from the only two wonderful characters in this book.

I loved Breeze from the moment he opened his mouth and a snarky, humorous comment escaped. It took less than a couple pages for Sazed to become a favorite of mine. And they were only the top layer of great characters offered.

Allomancy has got to be one of the coolest things I have read about this year. 

Imagine being a Mistborn, and using metal to push and pull your way around a city. You can fly, you can float, you could even hover if it pleased you. Manipulating emotions, soothing and rioting, would be a breeze. (See what I did there? Sometimes I amuse myself.) Need some extra strength? Got you covered? Super sense? Yup. I really loved the lessons Vin received, especially the ones with her and Kelsier.

It's been a while since I've read a fantasy book that I just HAD to read faster. 

I was torn between wanting to share my feelings with others and hording all my free minutes in order to crawl into this book. This book will make you laugh, this book will make you cry, and every single minute you read it, you will love it.

But this book more than entertains you, it makes you think. By the time you've reached the last page, you had suffered and fought right along side our band of misfits. If you are a fan of fantasy books, or of just good books in general, than I highly recommend this series.


"Marsh: "Our best efforts were never even a mild annoyance to the Lord Ruler."
Kelsier: "Ah, but being an annoyance is something that I am very good at. In fact, I'm far more than just a 'mild' annoyance--people tell me I can be downright frustrating. Might as well use this talent for the cause of good, eh?"

“The right belief is like a good cloak, I think. If it fits you well, it keeps you warm and safe. The wrong fit however, can suffocate.”

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I'm quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.”

4 comments:

  1. This is perfect and I adore it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the book is older and I'm trying to refocus my blog on more recent releases, but I just could not resist sharing my love for this series.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Your gif usage is on point! Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many feels gifs it was hard to just choose a few since this series is backed to the brim with mistbornfeels.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...