TTT #56 : Top Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want to Visit

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Paper Bindings | Top Ten Tuesday | Top Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want to Visit
A weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme is: the Top Ten Places Books Have Made Me Want to Visit. (whether fictional or real)


Tisha:

01. Hogwarts - There was no way I could leave this off the list. Sorting hats, House companionship, Quiddich, magic, boarding school : so many adventures to be had.

02. The Community - Don’t get me wrong I love having the many choices that we do now, but there was always something a little comforting about having someone else make all your decisions for you. 

03. 1800s New England - In "Little Women", Alcott paints a setting so rich that no matter what kind of person you are (a Meg, Jo, Amy, or a Beth perhaps) there is a place for you and your talents.

04. Tudor England - This book portrayed the complexities of Tudor court very well - what do people do for power? What do people do to protect their family and status? How do you keep the positive favor of the King or Queen whose own moods are constantly shifting? No, I probably would not want to live in this time period for a very long period of time, but did this book make me wonder what I would do in Lady Jane Grey's situation? Absolutely.

05. Paris and Amsterdam - There are some cities you dream about going to and have hundreds of things you want to check off your to do list and then there are some cities you would not mind visiting, but never really thought about them. Before "Just One Day" and "Just One Year" Paris and Amsterdam fell into the latter category. Forman does an excellent job detailing the beauty and "off the beaten path" charm of both these cities, making each characters in their own right.




Carrie:

06. New Orleans - I'll never really thought about New Orleans before, aside from the place everyone goes to for Mardi Gras. Flashing, beads, and all that. Then I picked up a little series called Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon. And I LOVED the city and I loved the culture. From there I went on to read more books, like The Chronicles of Nick, and countless others.

07. Scotland - If there is one place in the universe I would love to visit before I die, that's Scotland. I need to go there in a way that'll probably make me sounds crazy if I tried to explain it.

08. Space - I'm a science fiction girl. I grew up on Star Trek and Star Wars. If there is a movie, television show, or book that is science fiction and sounds even remotely like something I'd enjoy reading, I'll try it out. If we had starships and space colonies, I'd be out there exploring. One of these days I'll get to be a starship captain.

09. Chicago - If you'd asked me five years ago, if I'd ever wanted to visit Chicago, I'd have told you know. (Well, more like 'I'll go because who knows if I'll get to go again, but I'm not so keen on going' type thing.) But after reading several good series set in Chicago, where the city became it's own character, I decided I would love to visit the city.

10. England - I debated on which of a few to put here, but I decided that I read so many historical novels set in London that I would love to visit England. I was torn between present day and several different time periods in the past. But then I realized I could never decide on just one.


What is your Top Ten this week?
author image

Tisha

As an INFJ Tisha doesn’t like she obsesses. Luckily, she has television, film, and books to keep her busy. Although YA is her favorite, she loves all types of books especially historical fiction. This resident Gryffindor also enjoys traveling and seeing where her wanderlusting nature will take her. Twitter

7 comments:

  1. I'd go to Hogwarts with you Jo! Just remember we never got out letters because of you know who.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We'll bridge the great Slytherin/Gryiffindor divide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right, I am supposed to turn my nose at you Gryffindor! lol. I think if we can make it, there rest of our group should fit right in.

      Delete
  4. Space freaks me out but I'm with you there on Scotland and New Orleans, Dreams. Oh and of course Hogwarts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'd probably the one who goes crazy from claustrophobia and cabin fever, and become the villain in some cheese syfy movie. :( But I still want to fly a space ship.

      I'd say road trip, but unless you've got a hidden flying car, we are not driving to Scotland. We'd be ok with New Orleans though. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...