The Beautiful Ashes (review)

Saturday, October 11, 2014


the beautiful ashes by jeaniene frost
Title: The Beautiful Ashes (Broken Destiny #1)
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Release Date: August 26th, 2014
Genre: Paranormal - Demons
Age Group: New Adult
Source: Library
Rating: 3.5 stars

“In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…”
RELATED: Once Burned (Night Prince #1) 

“Besides, I ran out of 'normal' a long time ago, when I realized I saw things no one else did.”

I'll be honest here, I picked up The Beautiful Ashes because I've read Jeaniene Frost's other works. (Night Huntress and Night Prince series.) I didn't actually read the summary all the way through until I had the book in my hands. But from what I glimpsed prior, the book sounded like something I'd enjoy.

And, for the most part it was.

The story followed Ivy as she hunted for her missing sister. Only, it turns out, her sister was taken by demons. Up until this point, Ivy had convinced herself her random visions were a sign she was crazy. Overtime, she learned to stop talking about them. But that all changed when she met Adrian. ("Dangerously attractive" indeed.)

Or rather when he kidnaps her.

Sure he rescued her first, but the fact she was taken against her will sort of opened to book on the wrong foot for me. Then, maybe because the book is a New Adult, it became like open season for her to think about her hots for the guy at inappropriate moments. Seriously, there was a thought in there she had about next time getting kidnapped by an uglier dude to avoid this.

I have seen books where one kidnaps the other done in such a way that it works, but in my opinion, that is very rare. (I also have a hard time with romances where one party sets out to kill the other. Yeah, there is a story to tell the grandkids.) Once we got to the action and our heroes had time to learn about and bond with each other, it was easier to forget their initial meeting. But the way certain things -major spoilers- are hinted at, I'm left feeling like there was something in their insta connection that I am still missing.

“Because of what we see, we don't get to pretend the world is a beautiful place where monsters don't exist.”

I liked the world. Learning just who and what Ivy and Adrian were kept me pretty entertained. I won't say exactly what they are for spoiler reasons, but it is something I wasn't even thinking about when I picked up the book. So the surprise was nice and refreshing. For the longest time, the plot kept me reading more than the characters did.

But I can see how if you weren't expecting the book to be about angels and demons, you might find yourself shocked to be there thrown in that realm.

Overall I liked the book. I AM curious about what happens next, but honestly, I don't have that NEED to find out. I'll probably end up reading the next book, but I'm in no hurry to get there.

“When it’s light versus dark, that doesn’t matter. One shadow in a brightly lit room goes unnoticed, but shine a ray of light into even the darkest corner...and everything changes.”

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...