The Queen of the Tearling (mini review)

Thursday, September 18, 2014


The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen Title: The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1)
Author: Erika Johansen
Release Date: July 17th, 2014
Stars: 4
Goodreads

"Kelsea Glynn is the sole heir to the throne of Tearling but has been raised in secret by foster parents after her mother - Queen Elyssa, as vain as she was stupid - was murdered for ruining her kingdom. For 18 years, the Tearling has been ruled by Kelsea's uncle in the role of Regent however he is but the debauched puppet of the Red Queen, the sorceress-tyrant of neighbouring realm of Mortmesme. On Kelsea's 19th birthday, the tattered remnants of her mother's guard - each pledged to defend the queen to the death - arrive to bring this most un-regal young woman out of hiding...

And so begins her journey back to her kingdom's heart, to claim the throne, earn the loyalty of her people, overturn her mother's legacy and redeem the Tearling from the forces of corruption and dark magic that are threatening to destroy it. But Kelsea's story is not just about her learning the true nature of her inheritance - it's about a heroine who must learn to acknowledge and live with the realities of coming of age in all its insecurities and attractions, alongside the ethical dilemmas of ruling justly and fairly while simply trying to stay alive..."
RELATED: The Invasion of The Tearling (Tearling #2)


What I Liked:

* The Story - I found it interesting. A princess born to rule, yet raised in secret. Her caretakers raised her up to be smart ruler, and the very opposite of her mother. Now, not only does she have the chance to see the world around her from more than stories and lessons, she has to find the strength to be the ruler her people need.

* Mace - I liked him. Even when he acted contrary to what the Queen wanted, has was still a fascinating character. I cannot wait to uncover all his secrets as the story progresses.

* The Fetch - Now there is a guy with secrets. And they are secrets that I must learn. I'm not sure how I feel about all her thoughts of romance at random times since nothing in their interactions spells out 'undying love' or even 'interested in lust', but I'll hold off judgment on that for now until I see how it all plays out. Because I've always liked these bad boy, morally ambiguous characters.

What was 'Eh':

* The time table - I'm just not sure how I feel about it. It's a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world, yet it's a historical fantasy novel. We have swordmen and archers in one scene, then we are talking about ruined countries and plastic surgery in the next. Since we are mainly following Kelsea's point of view, we are learning things about the world as she learns them, or imparts her wisdom to us. I think the author does a good job with blending the two, but I'm just not sure what the rules of this world are. I like to imagine possibilities as I'm reading a good book, but with this one, it's hard to imagine what the author is going to throw at us next.


* The thing that pissed me off the most was the times Kelsea complained to herself that she was overweight and not pretty enough. I get it I do. Everyone has those thoughts. And a couple of times I could have forgiven her, but the later one were BS. She had problems that needed a queens attention, not someone who was focused on beauty. It was too her mother of her.

To Sum It All Up:


Overall I like this book. I do feel that the blurb and hype lied a bit though. (see 'eh' above) And I'm really getting tired of books being compared to hit books, like they cannot be good if they don't have that PR plug. What the fudge would I want to read a female Game of Thrones book for, when I could just read Game of Thrones? It's not like there aren't any strong female characters in those pages at all. Nope, not a bloody one. *bangs head* And don't compare it to the Hunger Games if you want me to read it, they were only mildly enjoyable.

So if we actually bothered to advertise the book as it is, I think more people would enjoy it. You can't just sneak that post-apoc world in there and expect it to not disturb the water. But if you go into the story know that, or if you're more like me and it was something that didn't bother you too much, the story was actually pretty good.

I was curious. I was entertained. I've always been a fantasy girl, if you can work it into your book, there is a good chance that I would read it. I'm looking forward to reading book two. And if the movie deal works out the way they want it too, I'd be interested in seeing the movie.

“Even a book can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and when that happens, you blame the hands, but you also read the book.”

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this book is for me, but I think I'm going to start reading more fantasy. But I do love this premise of the book. I just hate it when the blurb doesn't match the actual book. How off was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've seen that you read, I'm not sure if you would like it or not. It really could go either way. But if you are looking for some fantasy recommendations, I can probably come up with a few that you should like.

      On one hand, it fits. She was raised in secret to be a queen, but she was kept ignorant of her land/people. All she knows is "details" but not what's really happening to her people. Now she has to deal with her lack of knowledge, her predecessors decisions, and the Red Queen's threats.

      So it wasn't so much the blurb lied and it was realy about "blah blah blah." But that the whole feel of the blurb and cover, and marketing plan PROMISED me a fantasy story. But what we actually get is fantasy story to start, then this post-apoc stuff comes out of no where and twists with the fantasy.

      I still have no idea where the story takes place....some land where settlers from America and England could land, but the map doesn't tell me where it is. And when you have this sort of backwards, medieval society in one part, but then the neighbors have advanced plastic surgery and modern like luxuries, and lets not forget the magic that floats around, it makes it a bit hard to understand the rules of the world. Which seems to be the chief complaint I've heard about the book.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...