Review - Shadow and Bone

Thursday, January 31, 2013




TITLE: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1)
AUTHOR: Leigh Bardugo
RELEASE DATE: June 5th 2012
PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and Co.
add to goodreads

“Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.”




RELATED : Ruin and Rising // Finishing Series Discussion // Six of Crows 


My Initial Thoughts: Picked up the free sampler...and finally am getting around to working on my ebooks to read list.

I picked up the first few chapters preview for free way back in August. I've finally gotten around to read it. From that bit, I wasn't sure how I felt about things, but it intrigued me enough to pick it up from the library the next day. I liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. Mainly I think because I was not sure what to think of it from the blurb.

I liked the Russian like feel of the book, it was not something I've read before. Though, I will admit, the names took me longer than I'd like to remember them. (And don't ask me the names of the different Grisha groups because I cannot even begin to spell them off the top of my head.) There were a few times where you'd get a name of a group and then a character's name be similar...and my mind shut down. But as I got through the book and learned more about the world and characters, I could make better sense of the names. Just don't ask me to pronounce them...

I liked the characters for the most part. I had a hard time with Alina. It was like she was normal but normal wasn't ok because she wasn't pretty, so she couldn't be Grisha. But then she got a make over and all was well. Can anyone say shallow? Mal irked me a bit, but I liked him more than her. He was her best friend and from what it sounds like, a bit of a man slut. -Seriously, man slut is a trend in YA now a days. The girls are always virgins and the boys always have lots of notches on their bed posts.- Any who, we know from the beginning she has always loved him, but I wanted to see more of why she loves him. Maybe in the next book?

And this right here is the reason I liked this book. The Darkling. He was interesting. He had motivation. He had goals. He was not black or white, but shades of in between. He had reasons for doing what he does throughout the book. (as opposed to Alina following the beauty trail) Complex characters make for fun reading.

I enjoyed the book for the most part, and am planning on reading the next one. What I find most interesting to note is that a lot of people that are low rating this book have issues with the Russian bits in there. Apparently a drink that the author says is alcoholic is not really alcoholic, some of the Russian/made-up words make little sense, and using the word Grisha is like calling the Greg. I have little Russian knowledge, so I never noticed these things. But if you do, keep that in mind if you read the book.


"'I hope you brought me something nice. Alina's Secrets of Seduction do not come cheap.'
'Can you put it on my tab?'"

"'That's it? You just wanted to ask me about my day?'
'What were you expecting?'
'I have no idea. Torture? Interrogation? A stern talking to?'"

"I'd been lonely my whole life, but I'd never been truly alone before, and it wasn't nearly as scary as I'd imagined."

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to sharing your thoughts with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...